Breeding

Anything is possible one friend of mine has being breading the fire ball ferrets for years and has always ended up with a mixed bag of colours.  Another bloke I know he has always worked black eyed albinos and breeds black eyed whites together and he also ends up with a mixed bag of colours.  I think it is just pot luck on what you get. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2021 at 21:12, Guss33 said:

Anything is possible one friend of mine has being breading the fire ball ferrets for years and has always ended up with a mixed bag of colours.  Another bloke I know he has always worked black eyed albinos and breeds black eyed whites together and he also ends up with a mixed bag of colours.  I think it is just pot luck on what you get. 

Black eyed albinos? Are these not white ferrets with black eyes? 

• Like 1

I do have a preference for albino's for the easier to see thing. I'm not a fan of black eyed whites because the only two I've owned were hard to handle and would bite the dogs. Saying that the best working ferret I've seen was a bew a hunting mate owned, was like a very obedient terrier.

Well my personal preference is the pole cats as I find the white,sandy,albinos to look to plain. As the polecats just look better to me. But you are corrected white ones are much easier to see.  But does the colour of the eyes matter weather they are black or pink. I have always been led to believe that the black eyed ferrets worked better underground as the eye sight is better dose it really matter.  What is other people’s opinion on this. 

i agreed with the collour is of no importance execpt for light coulours that are easier to find in bush and such.

but now that i have about 25 ferrets. the differnt coulours/markings do come in handy to know who is who.

i keep different colour collars on my albino's now.

now with the ferret kits on their way a whole lot of identification chalanges arrize with that much ferrets(been thinking about hairpaint for that)

I have seen this done a clip on the ear unsure if I would do it to my ferrets. The photo is a bit small it was put on as the ferret was loaned out for breading. The owner does have a pair of pliers that work in reverse to unclog it. It doesn’t seem to bother the ferret at all. 

B5B27FF1-CAEF-4277-8AE8-75D3B0D09A4C.jpeg