More lurcher problems

My old girl (11 in Sept) has developed a couple of lumps on her teats, vet diagnosis, removal and speying, another £700 coming on top of the £700 I spent on the old dog last month. 

Glad I'm still working ? 

Cheers, D.

IMG_20210222_101257.jpg

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, dytkos said:

My old girl (11 in Sept) has developed a couple of lumps on her teats, vet diagnosis, removal and speying, another £700 coming on top of the £700 I spent on the old dog last month. 

Glad I'm still working ? 

Cheers, D.

IMG_20210222_101257.jpg

Thats very expensive dy. 

Lad I work with had the same done with his Russell last year with the vet I use, cost 160 quid. 

If he'd have used his regular vet that does his farm work it would probably have cost similar to yourself.

Never ceases to amaze me what vets can get away with charging when it comes to pets. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

My vet did something similar to one of mine for €80, she took it out on her kitchen table, she was 9 at the time. Would. Do it now that she’s 11, no. Especially if it was costing 700

I used to be like that but hey no, it's only money ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 3

I hope you get everything sorted out mate, not nice when you find something like that. Good on you for taking that attitude and you are absolutely right in my opinion. 

You can e take it wit the lad!

All the best

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sid g said:

if the dogs served you well and you`d like her around you for a couple more year then fair play 700 over 11 year around 64 quid a year 

thats very true.....but vets are private practice.....no harm in seeing what others quote in the area....provided they have a good reputation

• Like 1

Depends how big an op it is on the dog.

Put my old bitch down few months back, Vet wanted to take her back leg off at age 11, I told them wouldn't put her through such a huge op. Doubt she'd have made it through it anyways. 

PTS, swift and painless, she sat in my arms whilst I blubbed like a little girl :( 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Wideboy said:

To be honest it’s also about putting the bitch through it too 

It's a pretty routine op,  the speying is to reduce the risk of any more occurrences, plenty life left in the old girl ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TOMO said:

thats very true.....but vets are private practice.....no harm in seeing what others quote in the area....provided they have a good reputation

Tbh mate, we have a very small pool of practices down here, all the local ones have been bought out and turned into bigger entities.

The woman I use, I have known her for over 20 years and she's sound, they also know my opinion of their pricing strategy ? 

Not much point in travelling a hundred miles or so to save £100 or so, IMO.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2

cant the vet do a small biopsy  .if its just a fatty lump  well all good  ,but if its cancerous  well there is a fair chance it will return  ,i think sometimes  you have to say  ,ok shes had a good inings   .,enough is enough  .

• Like 5

It's hard when they get old, if it's a young dog and you can afford it it's a no brainer but you have to way up the stress of surgery and whether it would be kinder to PTS an old dog if it's suffering. I had a pitbull with similar lumps on the teats, they spayed her and removed them and they didn't come back but she was 7 at the time.

14 hours ago, dytkos said:

Glad I'm still working ? 

Cheers, D.

IMG_20210222_101257.jpg

Our old spaniel had lumps like that in her later life. We decided to leave her with them thinking it would be to much stress having removed. She lived for 4-5 years with the lumps. Aslong as it isn’t causing pain there no harm in leaving them? 

• Like 1