How old is to old

Give a terrier bitch to a friend over 6 years ago.

he split up with his missus 

asked me if I wanted her back lived in house never seen any work ever .

took it no a dig let it have a look next time dug to the bitch and dug to it 5 more times since 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Grunter123 said:

Give a terrier bitch to a friend over 6 years ago.

he split up with his missus 

asked me if I wanted her back lived in house never seen any work ever .

took it no a dig let it have a look next time dug to the bitch and dug to it 5 more times since 

Win win mate ?

Same happened to me I bred a litter years back and my brother had one as a pet she supposed to have snapped at his daughter has she was playing with dogs ears anyway she was two and half when I had her back off him she self entered and was the best bitch I've ever owned very reliable and lived to good age I never got the snapping at his kid has she was the most laid back dog you would ever get terriers I've got now all run back to that bitch and same blood like said if its in them its in them no getting away from it atb biza 

• Like 1

I don't ever drop a dog till there 2 years of age, seen loads of dogs walk cause not been mature enough, it take 2 years to make a dog but only 2 minutes to break them, give them there time and if they have any heart they should work for you 

• Like 7
Just now, fenman1# said:

I don't ever drop a dog till there 2 years of age, seen loads of dogs walk cause not been mature enough, it take 2 years to make a dog but only 2 minutes to break them, give them there time and if they have any heart they should work for you 

Hope you’re right fm.

this young black dog is a bit on the slow side

19 month old ?.

looks the part mind ?

ATB.... T

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fenman1# said:

When I had a small pack of hounds lads used to be nearly fighting to drop there dogs 13 and 14 months old, mad to try them cause there scatty or go mad to kill a cat they see when there out walking.. Different kettle of fish when there in a tight tube and something latched to there nose till you get down.. My grandfather once said to me when I was one of them lads mad to try my dogs cause they was screaming at cats on a lead etc, he said if you was 12 and someone come to you and hit you with a stick and told you get out of the park what would you do? I said I don't nó he said you run home crying he said but if you was 22 what would you do? I just looked and he said you would try and wrap that stick around he's neck and kick him around the field ? and my grandfather kept nothing but ground dogs Wheatons and bulls he's mentioned in dead game book and knew he's dogs so iv always stuck to that rule but everyone's different. Atb and hope the dog works for you fella. 

Fenman

Very well said ?

Nobody seems to have any patience anymore, see it in every aspect of life nowadays. Baffling to say the least!

Theres alot to be said for taking your time and choosing the right hole to start off any career, you only pop your cherry once!

?

• Like 4
On 23/02/2021 at 20:08, TonyT said:

Hope you’re right fm.

this young black dog is a bit on the slow side

19 month old ?.

looks the part mind ?

ATB.... T

He showed promise last time T ? just wasn’t the right place at the time. When I was younger I wanted my dog to start yesterday, not today or tomorrow and use to look at them and think Wanker ! when they wouldn’t go ?

im more chilled out now and learnt from the dog’s I’ve probably spoilt been too keen and most of all stupid, 

let them be pups and with a bit of time you’ll end up with something as good as anybody else’s ?

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying leave the dog till mature and he will work, cause that's not the case iv had dogs turn 2 in May and tried that September and still walked from game, dog still has to have heart! just easier to break a pups heart then a mature dog iv reared loads of dogs till mature and still failed, tbh I think an honest ground dog is one of the hardest to get in a dog, tbh most dogs will hunt a ditch most dogs will kill on lamp, out of 10 dogs of each i think the percent of workers of ground dogs will be a lot smaller then rest, and iv had dogs that was looking like they was gonna be great and bail on 5th dig loads of lads dig in my town and tbh if your dog ain't on the hard side the fellas here are gonna try push your dog all over the place the minute the shovel hits soil they been dug that much, so depends on where you bring dogs for first few digs too some places round here you want to be dropping a dog with couple seasons under there belt cause dogs that is getting dropped for first time are gonna take some stick to keep in a spot, never mind that give him time to get him in pocket when the shovel hits soil that's when he's gonna put the pressure on and that's when you see who has the heart and who don't 

• Like 2

You’re right mate

what CC. Was on about was my bitch started 

early just on Charlie and died before she was four  year old.

too reckless , too hard for her build... 12 inch fox bitch

the dog in question has been pegged out on digs from 6 month... it’s me that’s held him back.

scared of failure .... perhaps but he’s shaping up

so we’ll see

ATB ... T

• Like 2