55 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

That's frankly eye opening.

Mostly in coppice? 

Young woodlands are the best place mate, the squirrels can’t disappear like in a 100 year old oak and if they go in a drey you can blast them out with a catty or a couple of drain rods as there only about 15/20 meters up but that’s still a well impressive hit, I think the squirrels also prefer the young trees so they tend to be lifting with them ?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, darbo said:

is there a standout dog in the group you hunt with regarding finding/marking/treeing the squirrels?

Not really mate they all seem to catch on after a couple of outings if there'splenty about.Obviously the lurchers normally beat the little dogs for catching when they hit the ground.I did have an imported American bulldog years ago that was a fanatical squirrel hunter.She was a pain in the arse if I was just trying to have a walk anywhere there was a load.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, downsouth said:

Not really mate they all seem to catch on after a couple of outings if there'splenty about.Obviously the lurchers normally beat the little dogs for catching when they hit the ground.I did have an imported American bulldog years ago that was a fanatical squirrel hunter.She was a pain in the arse if I was just trying to have a walk anywhere there was a load.

Funnily enough the old red lurcher on the left of the photo Is a gt grandson of her.