A Massive Mystery For The Massive

A random post title, elsewhere, reminded me of this. It's a mystery I've never cracked (or indeed had a repeat of) in over half a century. Can the THL Massive provide the answer?

The location was a local, city council managed pond. Pretty bare place, now I think about it. Loads of ducks though. And people fished there. Other than that, just an expanse of water with a couple of small islands for the ducks.

Well, there was a tiny corner where stuff gathered. General flotsam one might expect. Then, the mysterious things I'm yet to get anywhere near explaining.

Black, hard spheres. Pretty dull black, as I remember. Smooth. Probably about the size of gobstoppers, or those bigger marbles we used to get. Oh, and they floated. Would probably have been up to half a dozen of them, at max.

Of course, being kids, we fished a couple out. I seem to remember they were light enough in the hand. We asked the nearest adult what they were. Guy obviously had no more idea than we did.

So, I did the obvious thing kids do and stamped on one. It busted open and a milky white substance came out. Quite liquid.

Well, as all we could really see was water and ducks? We took our best shot and decided that this must be duck shit. Obviously it wasn't. I've since observed real ducks shitting.

So; What the fukk Was it???

im-not-saying-chyalz.jpg.21492ab7bd186fdd1a840c5c08b031f4.jpg

Let's just get That one out of the way, shall we? ;)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prehistoric life forms now believed to be extinct .  due to someone stamping on one years ago .

Has Rampton got a pond ? 

It’s rotten conkers mate, black buoyant and full of whiteish slime ??

Posted Images

Bit small for Dodo's. Otherwise I'd agree you could be about as close as anyone.

Not acorns (or conkers) Too round. Too smooth and black. And the white liquid was definitely completely at variance with the hard casing.

Socks, are not fish eggs generally gelatinous in structure? These things really were hard cased. I distinctly remember they were a lot tougher than hens eggs. Drop one on the pavement and it'd not break.

FOD; If I ever found a small dinosaurs eggs? I wouldn't be in the least surprised if they were just like these things.

It's a fukker, isn't it, lads? In over fifty years now I've Never come across anything even remotely similar. And I've been round the block.

No. Again, Gnip; How would golf balls explain the liquid inside? Granted, I've seen what goes on inside some golf balls. I entirely see your thinking. But, even leaving the 'milk' out of it? one may be plausible. But, several? All together in a pond far from the nearest golf course?

In fact, it's that fukking 'milk' that bugs me. Had they revealed a fibrous centre? Be way more wide open, wouldn't it? Any kind of man made weirdness. But fukking 'milk'???

Something from the natural world.

23 minutes ago, Greyman said:

It’s rotten conkers mate, black buoyant and full of whiteish slime ??

Good god! I do believe we have a winner!!! :icon_eek: That Absolutely ties in with what I remember. Floating in water. Round. Black. Harder than any egg. But smashable by stamping on them. As a rotten conker would be!

And, the stuff inside? It makes sense that the water logged and decomposed flesh would indeed break down to some whitish shit.

Fukking Reesult!!! :D Well over fifty years I've thought about that day and wondered WTF they'd been!

Well done, Greyman! :D

• Like 2