Whippet dogs

Seen some good whippets had a 7/8ths whippet 1/8th greyhound out of bigland boy killed fox single handed and wasnt a bad dog around a hole. Most whippets iv seen have been good lamping dogs for rabbits and seen a few whippet dogs hold there own on fox. I think there Well under rated for there size. My son and nephew have a dog and bitch now dogs first season and bitch still only learning but the kids love them and love watching them catch rabbits. Next season will do plenty bunny bashing with them 

• Like 5

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He sadly died at seven mat, but i had to retire him about five and he lived out his days lying on the sofa with my nan and running around my folks place getting in trouble. Never really got to the bot

I run a pure whippet. 8 year old now, very under estimated little dogs. 

Not a strait whippet, but a lot of whippet in there along with everything els 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, shaaark said:

All the whippets I've owned, and the ones I didn't own, would enter the thickest of cover/brambles without a second thought. 

All this 'fragile, no guts, shit feet, no drive' etc etc is a load of shite, spouted mainly by people that have never even seen a whippet work, let alone own one.  ?

Oh yeah, they also have a very good nose.

given me food for thought. ? I always planned on putting my f1 beddywhippet bitch back to whippet. I want a bit more speed to work with her when bushing ferreting etc. half the time she's still in cover when rabbit is out and away. would I be as well buying in a whippet? rather than the trouble of breeding as I only want a pup for myself? 

15 minutes ago, fred90 said:

would I be as well buying in a whippet? rather than the trouble of breeding as I only want a pup for myself? 

Can't answer that for you really mate. But it would save a lot of unnecessary bother and hassle, not to mention dealing with timewasters and 'undesirables' lol.

I know you and a few fellas on here own, and are happy with your beddy/whippets, but for me, the pure whippet is the better dog, again,  for me ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

You found a suitable bitch for him yet mate?

Thinking along the lines of a fairly light built bull grey, Or Saluki bull grey. But as I say another year or so till I would want to do it. Unless a suitable bitch came up and I didn’t have a choice to wait, I would probably take the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

given me food for thought. ? I always planned on putting my f1 beddywhippet bitch back to whippet. I want a bit more speed to work with her when bushing ferreting etc. half the time she's still in cover when rabbit is out and away. would I be as well buying in a whippet? rather than the trouble of breeding as I only want a pup for myself? 

the problem you may have though fred is finding a whippet cheap enough...

it will most deffinatly cheaper to breed your own ....

• Like 1
Just now, TOMO said:

the problem you may have though fred is finding a whippet cheap enough...

it will most deffinatly cheaper to breed your own ....

you are right there tomo?. but when it comes to dogs if I find what I want I think about money later?

• Like 1

I have only had one whippet. She was bright as a button, driven, lots of heart and punched well above her weight. She never suffered with any foot problems, which i put down to her being quite lightly built and her acceleration was incredible. Her biggest problem was her skin was like a peach and she was forever splitting the end of her tail which always bled profusely. I will be looking at getting another whippet type dog in the future if i could get one with a thicker skin. It might just have been her though and other whippets don't have a problem but it put me off them a little bit.

14 hours ago, fred90 said:

I think the 3/4 bred whippets have a slight edge on the pure ones and 1/4 terrier would be ideal. I'd go with the breeding as you know they are genuine working stock, you have the pic and know they come from a caring environment.