Whippet dogs

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He sadly died at seven mat, but i had to retire him about five and he lived out his days lying on the sofa with my nan and running around my folks place getting in trouble. Never really got to the bot

I run a pure whippet. 8 year old now, very under estimated little dogs. 

Not a strait whippet, but a lot of whippet in there along with everything els 

Posted Images

When I first passed my driving test we'd just bred a litter of saluki bull grey and weren't old enough to run. bieng 17 and mad keen I only had the whippet to run my pal had a whippet greyhound we had more fun with that little dog than any other used to smash hares all over in the lamp rabbits were easy with her and would try pulling roe just lacked the size to hold em and got stuck into Charlie. I'd have another in a breath if I change from needing the saluki saturated dogs 

Edited by Kalibrgun
  • Like 2

I’ve worked pure whippets years ago in the 90s I was only a kid we used to ferret with them an lamp them they were great little dogs they were oakbark an nimrodel breeding ive had a bit to do with whippets an beddy whippets in the last 10yrs or so a family member used to run a couple of beddy whippets an a penny meadow breeding whippet that was pretty decent my last beddy whippet died last year tbh I personally think I’d never own a f1 beddy whippet again with all the peddling of the cross going on mine wasn’t the best lamping dog but round the warrens she was a handy dog or as a busher she could hold her own but I think a whippet can be just as effective for day an night bunny bashing if I was ever in the market for a running dog for small game being rabbits mainly with a good spot of lamping id have a whippet (dog) as they tend to have a couple of inches over bitches or if I had to have a whippet Lurcher I’d not settle for less than 3/4 whippet the other 1/4 base blood 

4 minutes ago, shina said:

Didnt think they be game enough for a chew on a deer but fair play to it

any good on reds ?

Only slipped with another on roe and cwd didn't like the sharp end of Charlie but would have a go we were young and daft everything bigger than a rabbit was doubled up the whippet grey and my whippet not much got away from them to be fair mine was off Mike Brown my old man took me to pick it out of glen to a blue bitch decent stamp not the arched back shivvery type

• Like 2

I had a pure whippet, got him early 2010. That dog was a little machine, he had prey drive and heart to spare, lot of wind, speed, anything you could ask for. He was a wee bit independently minded lol, and could hunt like a hound. He would fly into absolutely anything, of any size, up to and including a big fallow buck (which he obviously couldn't stop). If I could have him again now, I would snap your hand off, but i dont know if id get another like him, so I've never had another one. Few members on here saw him run, and a I believe a few may have pups out of him still. RIP Finn.

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I had a pure whippet, got him early 2010. That dog was a little machine, he had prey drive and heart to spare, lot of wind, speed, anything you could ask for. He was a wee bit independently minded lol, and could hunt like a hound. He would fly into absolutely anything, of any size, up to and including a big fallow buck (which he obviously couldn't stop). If I could have him again now, I would snap your hand off, but i dont know if id get another like him, so I've never had another one. Few members on here saw him run, and a I believe a few may have pups out of him still. RIP Finn.

i remember you getting him and the early threads you did...what happened to him mate

6 minutes ago, TOMO said:

i remember you getting him and the early threads you did...what happened to him mate

He sadly died at seven mat, but i had to retire him about five and he lived out his days lying on the sofa with my nan and running around my folks place getting in trouble. Never really got to the bottom of it, but he had a very full working life up till retirement, had a lot of smashes and was put back together a lot. When I moved to the land of the big fields and the hare, it just wasn't fair on him. As fun as it was running them with him, he wasn't right by then, and there were so many he'd just run himself into the ground everytime we left the house. So he went home to hunt the rabbits, rats and squirrels about their place and scare off the odd fox. They break your heart in a lot of ways these dogs dont they.

• Like 10

I’ve a young bitch 15 months, not done a loyyet as still you, 3 bunny on lamp, 2 bolted, one bushed, very pleased so far, loads of stamina , and seems to have a lot older head on her than her age very good at marking she ferreting, bit heavy on nets but hopefully steady up, 21” so hopyhave some longer runs next autumn 

• Like 1

I work a pure whippet i have spoken about him a fair bit in other threads but 100% quality rabbit dog seems impervious to cold, last weekend was charging through ice after rabbits in a -10 wind and just didn’t care (I very much did and gave up after a few frozen hours much to his disgust!). Will happily take on fallow deer despite my desperate attempts to break him to them. Downsides are he is very hard mouthed and can sometimes just do his own thing (like the deer) but I think my limited skills as a dog trainer are at fault rather than the dog. 

5 minutes ago, cantona said:

I’ve a young bitch 15 months, not done a loyyet as still you, 3 bunny on lamp, 2 bolted, one bushed, very pleased so far, loads of stamina , and seems to have a lot older head on her than her age very good at marking she ferreting, bit heavy on nets but hopefully steady up, 21” so hopyhave some longer runs next autumn 

what she like around cover mate? brambles, nettles etc. always fancied a straight whippet one day, but have wondered if they will work cover as well as a beddywhippet. 

16 hours ago, fred90 said:

what she like around cover mate? brambles, nettles etc. always fancied a straight whippet one day, but have wondered if they will work cover as well as a beddywhippet. 

All the whippets I've owned, and the ones I didn't own, would enter the thickest of cover/brambles without a second thought. 

All this 'fragile, no guts, shit feet, no drive' etc etc is a load of shite, spouted mainly by people that have never even seen a whippet work, let alone own one.  ?

Oh yeah, they also have a very good nose.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 8
18 hours ago, fred90 said:

Shes he same asmy mates bedwhippet round cover, not much in it neither of them like getting stung but both forget about them when marking and chasing etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1