Welders (people)

Right you people who weld as a job not a hobby .. mig welding vertically do you work upwards or downwards with the torch and reason why ..thanks 

@Balaur think it's you who welds .. that's why I've tagged you 

1 minute ago, FLATTOP said:

Sausagedog on the shooting section is a long term welder but I don’t think he strays into the general section so might be good idea to post in there ?

? See if he replys to my tag lol 

@Sausagedog

• Like 1

Depends....if it's a light construction under little stress go down vertical.  If its thick steel and strength is needed go up. Run a quick root then go from side to side weaving your way up. There is a knack to it and getting the set set right if you want it tidy.

In fact even when doing vertical down you can set it so you come down but in a stop start motion which is stronger than coming down at a constant rate.

The danger with vert  down on thick steel is cold lapping  or no penettratration.

?

Im a joiner but Google says lol

The upside down V is one of the most effective techniques for vertical mig welding of lap and tee fillet welds. Sure there are other ways of making a good looking vertical uphill weld, but for ensuring penetration as well as making a good looking uniform weld, the upside down V is a very good way to go.

• Like 1

I tryed mig vertically a grate big blob fell off went tho the top of me boot in between me toes and out the bottom of my boot toke me a few seconds to work out what was going on!!

Pushed my trailer on its side after that and did it flat !

8 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Depends....if it's a light construction under little stress go down vertical.  If its thick steel and strength is needed go up. Run a quick root then go from side to side weaving your way up. There is a knack to it and getting the set set right if you want it tidy.

In fact even when doing vertical down you can set it so you come down but in a stop start motion which is stronger than coming down at a constant rate.

The danger with vert  down on thick steel is cold lapping  or no penettratration.

?

Its on a trailer using 5mm , I go down but we have a fella who isn't a qualified welder but as worked in this place 30 plus years and I've been here 5 month and my welds are neater and penetrate a lot better than his so he's running to the boss nit picking about my welds saying I'm not doing it right ? .

13 minutes ago, Chid said:

Don't think that looks to bad considering it was my first time back welding after 2 years not doing none ..IMG_20210204_082426.jpg.e925ac9b5d2f02c45eee99cb96781327.jpg

I’ve watch my brother weld with his mig for years mate and that looks good to me.I’ve only ever done gas welding mig looked to complicate for me.

Edited by lurchers
33 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

I tryed mig vertically a grate big blob fell off went tho the top of me boot in between me toes and out the bottom of my boot toke me a few seconds to work out what was going on!!

Pushed my trailer on its side after that and did it flat !

To hot mate. Got to back it off power and wire.

• Thanks 1