As an ex teacher I firmly believe that every day is a school day or, to put it another way, every mistake is a learning opportunity. It's proving to be a good job that I've got this attitude as I'm certainly needing it with Ned!

I've had working dogs for about thirty years now but this kelpie (my fifth) is really proving that not all dogs are the same. Everything that's previously worked with the other four kelpies (as well as previous lurchers) just doesn't seem to work with him. There are a number of things he does which make me pull my hair out but the one which has brought me to write today is his penchant for buses. To cut a long story short, he thinks he can herd them. He's not like it with cars etc but he is sometimes like it with other very large vehicles...but mainly buses. The road which leads from my home to my local wood is on a main bus route which, since moving here fifteen years ago, has been extended to include a bus lane. This means he's closer to them than other vehicles. His "fascination" takes the form you'd expect in a herding breed i.e. he slows down when he sees them, starts stalking and looks as though he'd like to grab hold of their back end as they're going past. 

I've tried a number of different things. I initially tried what had worked with a previous bitch who liked cars: a sharp jerk on the lead with an "Aah!" That worked after a couple of days with the bitch but Ned is three in May and still glazes over when he sees a bus. I've tried positive approaches like taking out a favourite toy, when he was a pup, and getting his attention on that instead but that only worked slightly and only if I took the toy out for every walk. For the last year or so I simply avoid the buses whenever possible by timing my walk to avoid them or seeking out a side road if I see one coming. If I can't avoid one I make him lay down (and sometimes have to put my foot on his lead if he looks like he's going to get up).

However, my wife said recently that maybe I'm turning it into a negative by bringing his attention to it. So, as thinking outside the box seems to be the order of the day with him, I decided to give it a go and ignore him and the buses and see what happened. For the first few days he did his usual but was occasionaly looking as though he was literally opening his mouth and turning round as the rear of the bus went past, ready to pounce. Then today, on my way back from a walk, I had to walk closer to the kerb due to a puddle on the pavement, still enough space for man and dog though. As a bus approached I was suddenly aware that the driver was looking angry and waving at me frantically. I looked to my left to see the bloody stupid animal was stalking along in the road, facing up to the bus.

To be honest, the only thing I can think of is to go back to bus = lay down and don't move. However, I was hoping that somebody else might have had a similar situation and found something else that worked. 

Thanks in advance.

Vibration or shock collar mate.

Whenever a bus comes along and he starts the behaviour pattern, buzz him. Don't say a word to him, except if he comes straight to you and just let him know he's good boy. If the buzz doesn't work. Fry the cnut until he screams and is standing in a puddle of his own piss ? The puddle of piss is important, as it let's you know the training is taking hold ?

Check out my previous training tips ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Neal said:

It's just so embarrassing. I've turned into one of those dog owners I've always sneered at, thinking 'why can't they control their dog, how hard can it be?'

Aye can relate mate. Mine spent his younger years obsessing over other dogs to play really rough and he was pretty aggressive aswell, started some shit tbh.... booting him got me some looks, I tell you lol. So I just stopped taking him out where other dogs were. Realised, it wasn't the right way. So I got a collar and I fried his ass ? Only once mind and he got the msg, everyone around was still trying to come to terms with the pathetic scream he did while I'm saying no! ?

Wouldn't even entertain putting it on him now, he learnt the first time. Leave means leave ;)

He stills whines like a bitch when he's not content though, not a fryable offence but getting fuucking close ?

• Haha 1
On 17/02/2021 at 15:00, mushroom said:

Aye can relate mate. Mine spent his younger years obsessing over other dogs to play really rough and he was pretty aggressive aswell, started some shit tbh.... booting him got me some looks, I tell you lol. So I just stopped taking him out where other dogs were. Realised, it wasn't the right way. So I got a collar and I fried his ass ? Only once mind and he got the msg, everyone around was still trying to come to terms with the pathetic scream he did while I'm saying no! ?

Wouldn't even entertain putting it on him now, he learnt the first time. Leave means leave ;)

He stills whines like a bitch when he's not content though, not a fryable offence but getting fuucking close ?

I was having a shitty day but that sir has brightened it up. I feel a book should be published, a sort of Cesar Milan in layman's terms.

ATB