No long in from work and found a note from the village council saying that my request for an allotment has been approved. Thank feck lol, I applied for one last year but due to this Covid it's all been on a back burner. All I need now is the ground to thaw and I'll make a start. Not expecting to much this season but I'll get it dug planted and set out the way I want with a few raised beds etc, so lads any advice or sarcastic remarks lol please dont be shy and pass on your knowledge ?

• Like 3

Least you didn’t have to join long waiting list , I miss my old one sometimes funny enough deleted pics off photobucket other day as managed to access my account. 
First off only grow what your going to eat don’t get distracted 

don’t leave anything expensive there I always took my tools home with me 

don’t get overwhelmed  you could always sheet half of it over an concentrate on first half instead of rushing an going it half arsed .

myself I never rotavatored  mine as someone had done it previously I just dug it 2 spade deep turning it over .if you rotovatored it every year your pan it in other words your create a hard bottom at the depth of the tines which roots can’t break through.

I used a company called real seeds they had quirky stuff but you could collect seed an re use it , I used to like their  funny Tree cabbage ? I had it going for 2 years as it was a pick the leaf type ?

• Like 1

Well. For sure you are going to get some responses on this topic I for one have contributed over the years and it is a topic very close to my heart.There are quite a few good guys on here. ‘Never cast a clout till May is out’. You can, in other words rush in, thinking all is well, and then you get, as many of us have done, got burned. What I mean is the dreaded frost. By all means prepare your ground but for goodness sake don’t plant too early. Broad beans can handle loads of cold but believe me potatoes cannot. I lost 14 rows this year. We have just gone through the most traumatic times at the allotment but stuck together. One or two stalwarts held the bar quota, ah hem, so in a round about way we stuck together. You will no doubt find that there are lifelong members who will supply you with plants and loads of knowledge. Hang on to their aprons my friend. I agree with a comment about digging as opposed to rotovating but believe me both have their place in gardening. Another little tip is that should you hear about alternative ground feed being available, take it. Horse manure, cow muck, chicken and pigeon manure, leaf mould and just about any other you can get your hands on. It’s the single most lovely learning curve and I found that my grandchild opened up and embraced this new education. Good luck and if you need any advice then I certainly am willing to help as are many more on here. Stay good and I hope you have a great year. Jok.

• Like 2

We approached the village council to see about allocating a piece of land for allotments about 3 or 4 year ago, and its taken this length of time but they have fenced a piece of land and provided 1 stand pipe for all, plot sizes are 10m x 5m  plus 5m x 5m ones , I'm fortunate enough to have acquired 1 of each due to the amount of applicants, so I'm looking forward to getting started, and thanks lads for the input, I'll definitely not go jumping in and get overwhelmed, so heres hoping yous dint get fed up wae my questions lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, brambles said:

We approached the village council to see about allocating a piece of land for allotments about 3 or 4 year ago, and its taken this length of time but they have fenced a piece of land and provided 1 stand pipe for all, plot sizes are 10m x 5m  plus 5m x 5m ones , I'm fortunate enough to have acquired 1 of each due to the amount of applicants, so I'm looking forward to getting started, and thanks lads for the input, I'll definitely not go jumping in and get overwhelmed, so heres hoping yous dint get fed up wae my questions lol

Fire away if you look round charity shops if they ever open you always see allotment or veg growing books in them some have month by month guides ,  

jok gave some good advice one word of warning dont put chicken manure fresh near plants as it will burn them I always had it heaped somewhere for few months an personally put it on the ground over winter let frost an insects break it down then dig it in soil 

also there was a Good thread on here about veg growing if you get bored 

The thread you are on about was/is one of the longest, I Think, on here, apart from The One’s welcome to the site. Something like ‘What are we all doing down the veg garden’. I have spent all my time on this forum speaking to like minded folks up and down the country with many pictures showing off at best, our products. It has been a lovely travel. Jok.

• Like 4

I think Jok's said most of it wise words. I agree get the Dug in mate. Personally I'm not a fan of raised beds, just me I suppose. I think when you raise a bed up you are taking the plants farther away from the water table and moister. If it's grass then wooden boards as borders is good imo. 

Last year was hard that late frost put every thing back and nearly every body lost their spuds. Theres a lot of fairly new products like micro mesh, fleece and butterfly netting. I use all three use the micro mesh over my Carrot we get the Carrot fly down here. Fleece against the frost and netting against the Cabbage Whites as I don't like sprays.

Good luck with the plot mate ate.

Cheers Arry

Like Jok said don't get too keen there is rough guide to last frost dates here https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-united-kingdom-last-frost-date-map.php

Spuds for example planted later will romp ahead of ones hit by a frost. Also consider no dig well worth a read up
I had to give up my plots when I had to get a new job in the opposite direction and longer hours. Plus have way to many hobbies I just couldn't fit it all in. 
Also onions from seed is the way to go if your doing onions I found anyway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In order, in my opinion. Broad beans can be planted anytime from NOVEMBER.  Early or spring cabbage from late February. March means getting the ground ready with digging and manure going in. (Do not fall in the trap of setting those early potatoes no matter what they say). By now you will be watching the weather and appreciating the temperatures rising so get in the greenhouse or shed, and start getting those seeds set ready for April. You’ll be doing what everyone else is doing. Most folks put all the usual into seed trays ie: lettuce ,cabbage, cauliflower, beetroot( if you wish to plant plugs), tomato, runner beans, sweet corn. The seed potatoes should be well chitted by now and nearly ready for putting in. Don’t rush. Reign yourself in and prepare for a lot of graft during the 2nd and 3rd week of April. I reckon now is the time for your spuds. There are different thoughts on this matter but I for one put mine in and ridge at that time. Two thoughts. Easy working freshly tilled soil and secondly about 10 days extra frost protection. By now you will be getting super anxious about getting everything else in. Have a minute. Look in the greenhouse and see how you seedlings are progressing. Should be about 2 inches high and looking strong. Put in your squash, pumpkin and courgette seeds at about this time.  Peas could do with going into 24 hour soak about now ready for sowing. Get you runner bean frame up and secure. Remember that the wind is their worst enemy. Try to anchor the frame as much as possible. You are now at the end of the month and now everything needs to go in. The next 2 weeks are incredibly busy and at the end of it you sit back with a bottle of beer feeling good about yourself. Then. Out of now where come the weeds. Dandelion, nettle, twitch, bindweed, thistle, roots from yours neighbours garden etc. Anyway, you promise yourself at least an hour each day to keep this lot under control but all of a sudden things that you have planted need harvesting. The good times are here. Bliss. Then the next problem shows it’s face. VERMIN.  Yes, the mice, moles slugs and snails, the shitty little things that want to eat everything that you have slaved to provide for your family, friends, and because you have grown far too much anyway, everyone down down the local pub and beyond. Ah well, it was good fun. Low and behold the runner beans take over. How the heck can you deal with this lot? Cabbages all start to bust open and you you can only eat one at a time. Your late radish have gone woody. The beetroot are getting to the size of mini rugby balls. All the pickling jars are full. Oh well, no sweat. You still have the winter veg. Leeks, swede, Brussels and a few late bits and bobs. Then comes the frost and you realise that the growing season is more or less complete. Shut up shop. Promise the veg for Xmas dinner. Think about what was and realise that within 2 months you’ll start again. THAT SIR IS THE ALLOTMENT. Happy days and enjoy. Jok.

• Like 4

I'm taking this advice on board lads so thanks again, that's the ground starting to thaw up here so I'll finish early on Friday and make a start with the digging over. Spoke to a farmer friend and he says he'll drop off a few ton of well rotted manure which I hope to share with other plot holders. Once I'm started I'll post a few pics so that yous lads can keep me in line lol ?

• Like 2