best feet, what best type lurcher ?

6 hours ago, bird said:

got me thinking with sandy post  snow coursing  , like said on the post ,  by me the ground like bell iron, hard to walk on never mind run a lurcher, but i know some types xs  do seem to have better feet than others. i think the saluki type xs , and colliexs throw good feet , my old dog bryn 1x collie x grey 13 and  had long working life , dont think he ever had any feet probs in that time , Buck my1x gsd xgey  he the same 8 year old got good feet on him, worse feet in lurchers was my pit xs , there feet took alot more stick , than  my other lurchers , ive always liked drop of bull in a lurcher, the bullx grey x salukix grey  or drop of collie in the mx as well  seem to throw better feet , from what i heard lads say.?   

I’ve always said with bullxs they are only bred for 3 things dfb they aren’t really rabbit or hare dogs,they are to top heavy on the frame and that’s why they always smash there toes as they not made for twisting and turning.It’s like putting a land rover body on a fiesta chassis,throw it into a corner it will topple over and smash its frame because it’s not made for that type of work.That’s just my opinion and seen loads with jumped toes or smashed feet by the time they are 5yrs old.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are right there Fireman,...I had many years of loyal service from my hybrid Heelers,.. real strong, well -padded feet...? No probs....?  

Good feet,no in fact bloody good feet are another thing those ACDx's i have seen have had...

i know saying them M word on these sites can get emotional ....but i think the best feet ive seen were Andys dog Jack.....and he past those on to my old bitch Venus....i honestly cant remember her hav

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Have to agree about running style. Dogs with a relaxed, looping style that saluki and deerhound crosses often have, seem to be able to float over trouble sometimes. Saluki crosses in particular sometimes have dreadful looking feet but do OK over rough terrain.

It’s always been deerhoundxs for me very rarely smashed there feet and that was maybe took a bit of skin off the pads.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Seen good and bad feet on just about every type of lurcher over the years Ray, though i'm long in the tooth enough not to judge feet (or dogs) by the way they look. I've seen the worst looking feet run the spectrum and the smartest tightest feet smash like china.

The best feet work and the worst damage and break, simple as that for me!

If we are talking breeds (types) and their feet then yep, saluki types seem to run over almost anything, as do collie types BUT i've seen exceptions.

Also, some dogs are just accident prone and though they may have sound feet, the way they run quarry may just cause damage and an example of this was my last dog, his feet were great but over the years he lost, snapped or pulled out three nails on his back feet. His toes were sound but i believe his style of running (turning) on certain ground caused him nail damage.

Bang on that lar 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lurchers said:

I’ve always said with bullxs they are only bred for 3 things dfb they aren’t really rabbit or hare dogs,they are to top heavy on the frame and that’s why they always smash there toes as they not made for twisting and turning.It’s like putting a land rover body on a fiesta chassis,throw it into a corner it will topple over and smash its frame because it’s not made for that type of work.That’s just my opinion and seen loads with jumped toes or smashed feet by the time they are 5yrs old.

Funny though ain't it, because in 20+ years of running big heavy half crosses, on all quarry, all over the country, none of mine ever had foot injuries... ?

7 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

Funny though ain't it, because in 20+ years of running big heavy half crosses, on all quarry, all over the country, none of mine ever had foot injuries... ?

it seemed to be a rare thing in them days mate I’ve never been a bullx man but I’ve judged some nice ones,and a lot of the heavy ones when you look at there feet are smashed or keep getting jumped toes.

9 hours ago, Bosun11 said:

funny story. My ground is terrible for feet, the dog that had the least foot problems was my half x type bull grey .......

• Like 2

Speed is one of the most important aspects, doubling the speed gives a fourfold increase in the impact forces. So a collies feet will have about a quarter of the impact of those of a greyhound, a half cross say 1/2. Greyhounds have a reputation for poor feet but most actually have decent feet but they undergo massively higher impacts. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Speed is one of the most important aspects, doubling the speed gives a fourfold increase in the impact forces. So a collies feet will have about a quarter of the impact of those of a greyhound, a half cross say 1/2. Greyhounds have a reputation for poor feet but most actually have decent feet but they undergo massively higher impacts. 

And good dogs no when to put speed on what ground to follow but greyhounds just no speed lol

• Like 1
13 hours ago, lurchers said:

Good for 2 things lol 

A good 3/4 grey a quarter bull just built like a big grey run the same aswell 

• Like 1
On 13/02/2021 at 08:59, fireman said:

Good feet,no in fact bloody good feet are another thing those ACDx's i have seen have had...

You are right there Fireman,...I had many years of loyal service from my hybrid Heelers,.. real strong, well -padded feet...?

No probs....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9

i know saying them M word on these sites can get emotional ....but i think the best feet ive seen were Andys dog Jack.....and he past those on to my old bitch Venus....i honestly cant remember her having a day off with her feet...she had real strong feet and wrists...

• Like 3