best feet, what best type lurcher ?

got me thinking with sandy post  snow coursing  , like said on the post ,  by me the ground like bell iron, hard to walk on never mind run a lurcher, but i know some types xs  do seem to have better feet than others. i think the saluki type xs , and colliexs throw good feet , my old dog bryn 1x collie x grey 13 and  had long working life , dont think he ever had any feet probs in that time , Buck my1x gsd xgey  he the same 8 year old got good feet on him, worse feet in lurchers was my pit xs , there feet took alot more stick , than  my other lurchers , ive always liked drop of bull in a lurcher, the bullx grey x salukix grey  or drop of collie in the mx as well  seem to throw better feet , from what i heard lads say.?   

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You are right there Fireman,...I had many years of loyal service from my hybrid Heelers,.. real strong, well -padded feet...? No probs....?  

Good feet,no in fact bloody good feet are another thing those ACDx's i have seen have had...

i know saying them M word on these sites can get emotional ....but i think the best feet ive seen were Andys dog Jack.....and he past those on to my old bitch Venus....i honestly cant remember her hav

Posted Images

Ones I’ve seen take least damage seem to be feathered saluki types hold up a treat I’d like to see galagos run a full season here looking AT the dry land they run that’s dangerously dry could end up smashed feet but they hold up  

• Like 1

Seen good and bad feet on just about every type of lurcher over the years Ray, though i'm long in the tooth enough not to judge feet (or dogs) by the way they look. I've seen the worst looking feet run the spectrum and the smartest tightest feet smash like china.

The best feet work and the worst damage and break, simple as that for me!

If we are talking breeds (types) and their feet then yep, saluki types seem to run over almost anything, as do collie types BUT i've seen exceptions.

Also, some dogs are just accident prone and though they may have sound feet, the way they run quarry may just cause damage and an example of this was my last dog, his feet were great but over the years he lost, snapped or pulled out three nails on his back feet. His toes were sound but i believe his style of running (turning) on certain ground caused him nail damage.

None are bomb proof especially with flinty ground, I ran saluki types on the south downs and they held up longer than most but all ended up with a few flat toes etc. The Galgos have a similar foot so should be OK. 

Edit to add, you want good deep pads are well as bones. 

IMG_20210206_145721.jpg.5b6acb88e0a2a1960cfa9ee1ffa513e4.jpgA Galgo. 

Edited by sandymere
36 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Seen good and bad feet on just about every type of lurcher over the years Ray, though i'm long in the tooth enough not to judge feet (or dogs) by the way they look. I've seen the worst looking feet run the spectrum and the smartest tightest feet smash like china.

If we are talking breeds (types) and their feet then yep, saluki types seem to run over almost anything, as do collie types BUT i've seen exceptions.

Also, some dogs are just accident prone and though they may have sound feet, the way they run quarry may just cause damage and an example of this was my last dog, his feet were great but over the years he lost, snapped or pulled out three nails on his back feet. His toes were sound but i believe his style of running (turning) on certain ground caused him nail damage.

Give a collie cross back to the breeder once because I just couldn't look at its feet, worst I'd ever seen but the dog actually turned out a handy worker but as much as I've tried not to judge a lurcher by how it looks I just couldn't handle those feet. 

The best feet I had on a lurcher was probably a 3/4 beardie/border 1/4 greyhound...so hardly surprising really. Four of my pure kelpies have had great feet but one had poor feet and, ironically considering the comments above, hers were the most hare like as opposed to round and tight like the others. 

4 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Give a collie cross back to the breeder once because I just couldn't look at its feet, worst I'd ever seen but the dog actually turned out a handy worker but as much as I've tried not to judge a lurcher by how it looks I just couldn't handle those feet. 

I know just what you mean, i think its because we all have a preconception of how feet 'should' look but providing a dog is fit, what its feet look like dont really matter.

Both mine here have decent feet the ground they run on it’s well terrible rocks and all sorts the young pointer x hasn’t had a problem touch wood , the older bitch has run some seriously shit ground in her time and she broke a toe on a nice flat bit of mountain and still struggling with it nearly 8 weeks later 3064D7CB-0CDB-4348-8EEE-77E9658BBE15.jpeg.82b94f4a8145db518cb00da04d27ed24.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bosun11 said:

Have to agree about running style. Dogs with a relaxed, looping style that saluki and deerhound crosses often have, seem to be able to float over trouble sometimes. Saluki crosses in particular sometimes have dreadful looking feet but do OK over rough terrain.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, dogmandont said:

Were they as bad as ditchshitters feet after he left his socks on for six year ?

• Sad 1