Snow coursing .

31 minutes ago, jpt said:

Very dangerous and stupid in my opinion,  you cannt see what's hidden beneath , what's the point in risking killing your dog for one run! It's a long game not a short cut!

As daft as her......

Screenshot_20210210-220250_Chrome.jpg

spot on, funny thing i was thinking how some people would run a dog with this very cold spell we got right now.  i know people land will be different, but even open land you still get mole hill etc, dog it them its game over bust feet, wrists , by me the ground like bell iron , it hard walking on it, never mind run a lurcher   .?

• Like 6

Hares seem to enjoy an almost mythical status amongst the quarry we hunt, but if I'm out for sport and enjoyment, it's fair law and the right conditions.

If I'm out for one for the pot, all bets are off....I'd be happy for the dog taking one out of its seat.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Fair play,...?

But a nice net always helps the wee mouching curs of the world?

IMG_0551_cr.jpg

As ever its horses for courses, I used a gate net back along to move some young stuff out of an orchard/garden on a farm I have permission on, I was 50% successful and the one that got away didn't return after my somewhat amateurish attempts. Hopefully both are happily hopping about ready to breed lots of little ones to stock the fields of the future.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, bird said:

spot on, funny thing i was thinking how some people would run a dog with this very cold spell we got right now.  i know people land will be different, but even open land you still get mole hill etc, dog it them its game over bust feet, wrists , by me the ground like bell iron , it hard walking on it, never mind run a lurcher   

Frozen mole Hill bad but so is a load a stone or little rocks that surface after rain etc could have ploughed field bits a brick etc in dangerous game the dogs mate 

But I agree hard frozen land is a bad idea 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Hares seem to enjoy an almost mythical status amongst the quarry we hunt, but if I'm out for sport and enjoyment, it's fair law and the right conditions.

If I'm out for one for the pot, all bets are off....I'd be happy for the dog taking one out of its seat.

Cheers.

The "best" hare dog I've owned was a little beddy/ whippet X collie/grey, killed lots, coursed none lol, he'd hunt them up and try to n snatch em within 30 yards from the seat, if they got much further he struggled but he took a fair few in his own way. These days I'd expect my dogs to be able to give fair law and still do well in the event of one getting up whilst I'm out and about rabbiting. I suppose the dogs are part of what we use to form out thoughts at any time so it can change as our kennels change. If It went back to a little whippet cross I'd look to how I could bring a bit of advantage to the dog rather than the hare. I suppose we adapt our techniques to suit our dogs and choose our dogs to suit our tastes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, The one said:

4  dogs and 2 4x4s and the hare made them all look silly lucky the dogs didnt take each other out no for me 

indeed, don't think borzois are hare dogs, even with snow but it was just an introduction to find peoples thoughts on the subject over here?.

• Like 1

Not for me unless it's a young inexperienced dog to get some fur in its mouth then fair enough. Like tomo said it it's any average lurcher and after one for the pot could be the only chance the dog will get to even the odds out in deeper snow than a duating. 

• Like 1