Mystery of mole trapping

Always been an air of mystery around the trapping of this velvet coated gentleman, just wondering if all the cloak and dagger stuff is warranted, seen a few vids on YouTube and even talked to a couple of groundsmen etc the videos and the conversations I've had suggest with a little practice and a little care it really is no big deal, so where does the mystery come from I suspect its just operator's trying to protect a bit of income £££££. I would imagine to the average fella it may open the door(field gate) to some otherwise guarded permission. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, downsview said:

Always been an air of mystery around the trapping of this velvet coated gentleman, just wondering if all the cloak and dagger stuff is warranted, seen a few vids on YouTube and even talked to a couple of groundsmen etc the videos and the conversations I've had suggest with a little practice and a little care it really is no big deal, so where does the mystery come from I suspect its just operator's trying to protect a bit of income £££££. I would imagine to the average fella it may open the door(field gate) to some otherwise guarded permission. 

Don't think there's any mystery to it at all anymore. Anyone can catch a mole. Let me know when your making it pay week in week out and I'll be impressed...but that's same for anyone that makes a living off their own skills 

• Like 2

Certainly in the past mole trappers would have created an air of mystery about their craft. And, that to some extent has been carried on in modern times. There have been pro trappers on here who have taken umbrage about tips and hints being given on the forum. The answers given on the thread the other day about how to use new traps would have caused a furore a few years ago.

From what I have seen there are a few gardeners who can turn their hand to mole trapping given a few tips they might pick up online or in books. But there are many, many more who couldn't do it while ever they have a hole in their arris. The main problem I come across is making the trap sites way too large and pressurising the mole by putting loads of traps around new diggings. And, of course the market is full of schite traps designed to catch the unwary customer, not the mole.

Trapping a mole in one garden doesn't make someone a mole trapper. Once they have trapped in turf, clay, sand, stones and woodland in summer and winter they are on their way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Certainly in the past mole trappers would have created an air of mystery about their craft. And, that to some extent has been carried on in modern times. There have been pro trappers on here who have taken umbrage about tips and hints being given on the forum. The answers given on the thread the other day about how to use new traps would have caused a furore a few years ago.

From what I have seen there are a few gardeners who can turn their hand to mole trapping given a few tips they might pick up online or in books. But there are many, many more who couldn't do it while ever they have a hole in their arris. The main problem I come across is making the trap sites way too large and pressurising the mole by putting loads of traps around new diggings. And, of course the market is full of schite traps designed to catch the unwary customer, not the mole.

Trapping a mole in one garden doesn't make someone a mole trapper. Once they have trapped in turf, clay, sand, stones and woodland in summer and winter they are on their way.

Bang on

ive taught  a few people to catch moles and you can either do it or you can’t 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, tilimangro said:

Bang on

ive taught  a few people to catch moles and you can either do it or you can’t 

Yes, it is strange how some people never grasp it. I have a friend who is a wizard at repairing garden machinery; qualified B&S mechanic, can take a hedge trimmer carburettor apart and repair it blindfold, but cannot for the life of him set a mole trap. But, then again; I can't mend, repair or make anything. DIY is short for disaster in my world.

• Like 1

I taught myself how to set them as a teenager.... We used to pay some guy to catch them on the golf course I used to live and work on..... My best week was 36 moles... Took me 14 months catching most days/weeks and then I didn't catch another for nearly 2 yrs..... I've dealt with a fair few using a 5 iron.... Give them a good whack when they used to come up through the hills ?the head green keeper would use a 12g ?

• Haha 1

To be successful at moles, the following is important:

1) You turn up when you say you're going to turn up.

2) You set your traps without making more mess than the mole has already created

3) After you've finished - and been paid - mole activity ceases for at least a month.

Whether or not you actually catch any moles is another matter entirely.

On 12/02/2021 at 12:00, Daniel cain said:

I taught myself how to set them as a teenager.... We used to pay some guy to catch them on the golf course I used to live and work on..... My best week was 36 moles... Took me 14 months catching most days/weeks and then I didn't catch another for nearly 2 yrs..... I've dealt with a fair few using a 5 iron.... Give them a good whack when they used to come up through the hills ?the head green keeper would use a 12g ?

good work ?but I think a professional mole catcher would have used a 7 iron. 

• Haha 1
On 13/02/2021 at 13:57, fred90 said:

good work ?but I think a professional mole catcher would have used a 7 iron. 

I went and set 12 traps yesterday afternoon on a golf course not far from my house... Went back this morning to check them and bolt a rabbit or 2 for the dog.... No luck on the rabbits, in fairness the dog didn't mark a single hole... But did have some success with the traps.... Stupid dog ate 1? the other was a mid morning snack for the ferrets?DSC_1658.JPG.d59b5d1b3498399c48ada09645bb71c0.JPG

There ain't no mystery too it??