Strange things you've seen.

18 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

As a kid I done short spell in the scouts used to meet in the next  village hall , I can’t remember what game we were playing but involved several of us hiding in the churchyard opposite , we seen something white float along the headstones an being a country born lad even at that age I seen enough barn owls to know it wasn’t one , we soon high tailed it out of there .?

Walter wilsons carrier bag ?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

seeing rabbits and hares swimming rivers to avoid the dogs chasing them....but the best one was a hare running up a hollow log to avoid  capture by my bitch Sally the log went from the ground at one e

I was out foraging for Mushrooms and Fungi one day look up seen this. Its proper made pottery. Cheers Arry

Hooked into a pike on light spinning gear when I was a kid, it came cruising through the water in front of me like a f***ing submarine, flared it's gills, opened wide and chucked up adult brown rat! T

Posted Images

On 08/02/2021 at 20:48, dytkos said:

Was lamping one night and slipped the dog on a rabbit and a fox ran in and tried to catch it.

Dog missed both.

Cheers, D.

Happened to us that slipped on a hare daytime, fox appeared, hare got away and fox got pulled by the dog.  

Was a nice big dog fox

Never seen anything like it since, was late summer we was only 14 at the time put it in my mates dads wheel barrow so we could take it home 

• Like 1
On 11/02/2021 at 18:24, forest of dean redneck said:

I drove to poole other day an in a tree by the road someone’s hung a white mug on a branch  made me do a double take ?

There's a load of Smurfs in the trees in some Northumbrian forestry, they're Smurfs, and I've seen em. Blue ones they be

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, dogmad riley said:

Happened to us that slipped on a hare daytime, fox appeared, hare got away and fox got pulled by the dog.  

Was a nice big dog fox

Never seen anything like it since, was late summer we was only 14 at the time put it in my mates dads wheel barrow so we could take it home 

When you tell people about things like this they generally look at you like your a lying c**t but had same happen .Lamped a rabbit in the corner of a field by a wood and slipped the dog .A fox ran out and coursed the rabbit in front the dog and dog missed both ?

You have to be out to see these things,nothing seen sat at home .

We were rat shooting one night at a place that was , back then a glue factory local to me .We’d shot fair few when panic seemed to go through the rat colony and a stoat appeared in the lamp before disappearing down another hole .We never saw it kill but heard it and the rats never appeared until much later that night .

Walking out of a wood one evening with 4 squirrels on my shoulder for the Harris hawk ,shot with a .22 live and a fox calls in the field in front of me .I couldn’t see it in the failing light but had a squeak anyway .A whoosh of air by my face made me turn and there was a tawny owl talons out inches away from my face that realised its mistake and was gone .I think someone else had same on here .No noise at all .

I shot a rabbit years back with a .22 and gut shot it unfortunately .It made the hedge and I ran to stop it reaching a burrow .As I got to it ,it was squealing and a badger out of nowhere grabbed it and we briefly had a tug of war with the rabbit until brock realised I was there .

Hunting with the Portman years ago and we’d just netted  a fox from an easy place .I could hear hounds coming on but thought they’d be held up but no .There’s me ,fox in the air with hounds milling around me going berserk .Had to drop it eventually and lose the net ?.Savage I was .

• Like 1
On 08/02/2021 at 16:59, foxdropper said:

Saw a turkey vulture near Dorchester .Known Nationally to twitters as Arthur lol .

TV1.jpg.ce7ae717f7a979024582dbc9926efc95.jpg

I love going out to watch those when they arrive here for the summer. Good for locating kills in the forest! :thumbs:

3 years ago I was out walking the dogs in the forest while I was out twitching for Turkey Vultures. I was about 2 hours out, in the middle of no where, following the forestry tracks when a bloke stepped out of the woods ahead of me. He was dressed in buckskins, had a massive beard and looked like he hadn't washed in a decade. Had an old lever action rifle slung over his shoulder. I stopped in my tracks and the ACD I have growled. I waved at him. He waved back. As I took a step towards him he walked back into the trees and I never saw him again. I didn't feel threatened but there was a mental track playing in my head. Dueling Banjos.

I've played the scenario over in my mind and I reckon he dodged the Vietnam draft by hiding in the forest. Found that he liked it and decided to check out of society. I believe the meeting was deliberate on his part but he'd had enough after a few seconds and then went about his business. I was done then. Turned around and went home. Felt watched the whole way back. It was honestly one of the strangest encounters I've experienced. The guy was full mountain man and looked like he'd just stepped out of a fur trappers convention from the 1800's.

• Like 10
6 hours ago, foxdropper said:

When you tell people about things like this they generally look at you like your a lying c**t but had same happen .Lamped a rabbit in the corner of a field by a wood and slipped the dog .A fox ran out and coursed the rabbit in front the dog and dog missed both ?

You have to be out to see these things,nothing seen sat at home .

We were rat shooting one night at a place that was , back then a glue factory local to me .We’d shot fair few when panic seemed to go through the rat colony and a stoat appeared in the lamp before disappearing down another hole .We never saw it kill but heard it and the rats never appeared until much later that night .

Walking out of a wood one evening with 4 squirrels on my shoulder for the Harris hawk ,shot with a .22 live and a fox calls in the field in front of me .I couldn’t see it in the failing light but had a squeak anyway .A whoosh of air by my face made me turn and there was a tawny owl talons out inches away from my face that realised its mistake and was gone .I think someone else had same on here .No noise at all .

I shot a rabbit years back with a .22 and gut shot it unfortunately .It made the hedge and I ran to stop it reaching a burrow .As I got to it ,it was squealing and a badger out of nowhere grabbed it and we briefly had a tug of war with the rabbit until brock realised I was there .

Hunting with the Portman years ago and we’d just netted  a fox from an easy place .I could hear hounds coming on but thought they’d be held up but no .There’s me ,fox in the air with hounds milling around me going berserk .Had to drop it eventually and lose the net ?.Savage I was .

Your right about people think your lying, but some of the the things you see while lamping or hunting in general have to be seen to be believed.  I wouldn't believe half of the stories but then you see something that makes you think. 

The joys of working with animals and being out in nature cant beat it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Not the strangest but one the most unpleasant things I've seen was a rabbit bolt from a small warren as I walked over it. The terriers quickly nabbed it and just as quickly left it. The entire back end was a writhing mass of maggots and give the appearance of being eaten alive. It also stunk to high heaven. I assume a ferret had had a good go at it in a stop end, made a mess but hadn't got over its back to kill it. This was the middle of summer. I encouraged the terriers to finish it off but they wouldn't touch it and I had to neck it. Horrible sight and smell.

2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

TV1.jpg.ce7ae717f7a979024582dbc9926efc95.jpg

I love going out to watch those when they arrive here for the summer. Good for locating kills in the forest! :thumbs:

3 years ago I was out walking the dogs in the forest while I was out twitching for Turkey Vultures. I was about 2 hours out, in the middle of no where, following the forestry tracks when a bloke stepped out of the woods ahead of me. He was dressed in buckskins, had a massive beard and looked like he hadn't washed in a decade. Had an old lever action rifle slung over his shoulder. I stopped in my tracks and the ACD I have growled. I waved at him. He waved back. As I took a step towards him he walked back into the trees and I never saw him again. I didn't feel threatened but there was a mental track playing in my head. Dueling Banjos.

I've played the scenario over in my mind and I reckon he dodged the Vietnam draft by hiding in the forest. Found that he liked it and decided to check out of society. I believe the meeting was deliberate on his part but he'd had enough after a few seconds and then went about his business. I was done then. Turned around and went home. Felt watched the whole way back. It was honestly one of the strangest encounters I've experienced. The guy was full mountain man and looked like he'd just stepped out of a fur trappers convention from the 1800's.

he probably wasn't the sort to talk..

but assuming your analysis of him was on the money....I bet he could have been one interesting chap to chat with...providing you didn't get bummed..lol

6 minutes ago, TOMO said:

he probably wasn't the sort to talk..

but assuming your analysis of him was on the money....I bet he could have been one interesting chap to chat with...providing you didn't get bummed..lol

Once the initial adrenaline dump was done I'd have loved to have chatted with him. He'd been out there a long time without doubt but my mind is filling in the blanks with the history.

It does raise the spectre of whether he was alone or whether he was a scouting party regarding a potential bumming...

• Haha 7
50 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Once the initial adrenaline dump was done I'd have loved to have chatted with him. He'd been out there a long time without doubt but my mind is filling in the blanks with the history.

It does raise the spectre of whether he was alone or whether he was a scouting party regarding a potential bumming...

Did you take your lube with you next time?

• Haha 1