Sgc renewal

1 hour ago, Jake w said:

Got my renewal coming up iv read that with new applications they are wanting a medical verification is it the same with a renewal does anyone know? Nottinghamshire police I am under? 

many thanks

Jake W 

If you go on Notts firearms website you can print the forms off. You need to get your doctor to fill one form in, it’s just a short tick box form and the doctor needs to stamp and sign it, then you send it in together with the rest of your paperwork. Notts won’t process without it now I believe.

Some counties do some don't.   It's  not a legal thing it's  just another hoop that we are being required to jump through.  Of course our orgs .... basic rubbish, who state that they protect our interests are doing sweet FA about it.  I was charged £30 last year but son in law has ben told that the doctor is now charging £60 !!  The form is just a series of tick boxes and would take about two minutes to tick off. Total  rip off.  All of it.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Meece said:

Some counties do some don't.   It's  not a legal thing it's  just another hoop that we are being required to jump through.  Of course our orgs .... basic rubbish, who state that they protect our interests are doing sweet FA about it.  I was charged £30 last year but son in law has ben told that the doctor is now charging £60 !!  The form is just a series of tick boxes and would take about two minutes to tick off. Total  rip off.  All of it.

I think two minutes is a bit generous meece, I’d say 30 seconds. 

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

I think two minutes is a bit generous meece, I’d say 30 seconds. 

Yeah, but that does include a time factor for hob nob dunking though

3 hours ago, baker boy said:

Just cost me £50 and South Wales wont process application without 1

And of course the orgs such as basic who profess to support and protect the shooting community are doing FA about it. In fact if past performance is anything to go by they are actively promoting it. Probably saying that it helps to weed out the nutters and protect the sport from further indiscretions. ,,! The next time you apply the quacks will be charging £200.!

Ps if the orgs such as basic ARE doing something about it why aren't they on here keeping us in a loop

At the minute our firearms are not asking for it ( but it will be coming) I don’t see the point in it, you have had to give consent to access your medical records for a long time now, it’s just an extent to the blame culture, 

Mr plod grants an FAC, Mr shooter has an episode and goes all Derick Bird, Mr Doctor gets the blame for ticking a few boxes

Sent mine in in October and still waiting. I’ve had a cover note but that’s lapsed now as well. Been told it’s coming soon so to hang on. My doctor and it could have been any of them as I don’t have a designated dr, you see who’s available, charged me 50£, the robbing twat.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

At the minute our firearms are not asking for it ( but it will be coming) I don’t see the point in it, you have had to give consent to access your medical records for a long time now, it’s just an extent to the blame culture, 

Mr plod grants an FAC, Mr shooter has an episode and goes all Derick Bird, Mr Doctor gets the blame for ticking a few boxes

It started off with Lincolnshire, now it’s widespread, won’t be long before every county follows suit on this one. It takes the onus off the police, a job less for them to follow up. It’s about time the home office issued protocols instead of guidelines, that’s the problem here.

34 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

It started off with Lincolnshire, now it’s widespread, won’t be long before every county follows suit on this one. It takes the onus off the police, a job less for them to follow up. It’s about time the home office issued protocols instead of guidelines, that’s the problem here.

That’s the problem, it’s all guidelines, no force sings from the same song sheet 

it’s a pointless exercise because by law when applying or renewing you have to inform them of any  medical issues or criminal convictions ( even speeding) failure to do this and getting found out will get you in a lot of sh*t, if they don’t carry out the correct checks with the information you have provided ( to make sure it matches)  they should be held accountable, not to pass the blame on 

I don’t mind paying for a service as long as the service I’m paying for is of benefit to me and everyone is treated equally 

23 hours ago, baker boy said:

Just cost me £50 and South Wales wont process application without 1

Just done mine in Thames Valley, £50 for medical form as well!!!!

At least mine was coterminus but I still think its a liberty, and we have little choice but to comply or NO FAC/SGC!!

Edited by Deker

It's the lawyers!

They advised the police that despite being given authority  to inspect medical records they don't! And because they dont if a nutter goes nuts the police force could be sued for not checking medical history possibly. 

So and because they dont have time or people to check medical  records they are 'passing the book'!

Where, in my opinion the medical  council have gone wrong is by agreeing to it.

They should of refused which would of thrown it back in the police hands which after all, it  is their job to enforce the dumb or otherwise acts of parliament and not the job of the general practitioner!

Stupid.....

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1