Tikka every time??

4 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I had one. It was very accurate  but suffered terrible magazine jams with subsonic ammo. Perfect with hv. The trigger needs stone work too. 

The hammer is light and only contacts the pin. Consequently when you fit lighter recoil springs to try and make them cycle sub sonic ammo it just Jack's the bolt off the ammo losing inertia from the firing pin!

Better designs have the hammer also pushing on the breach block at the end of their travel.

Bet they are reliable in the larger rimfires.

Yerr, thought you’d had one SD, maybe better in .22 mag?

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very happy ?

I know what you mean, I was at my reloading bench the other day and my wife came over and screamed . I wondered what was going on and she brought a mirror over and I looked in it ....... I had a flatt

This has Ianm written all over it! 

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, philpot said:

Why the varmint barrel Ben as they are heavy.

Phil

They aren't that much heavier but much better if you are stringing a few shots together, they don't heat up as quickly as a sporter.

• Like 1

I hate heavy rifles. Even when I was slim and young I always went for nice handling off hand because it's the close encounters I dont want clutter in the way and I want to walk miles.

Unless you're  shooting at long range for multiple shots it makes no difference except if one has a short barrel of say 18" but even then you are starting to rob long range performance so may as well keep some length and lose the weight.

I still say the average is under 100yds for pretty much everything shot.

Only prairie dog towns and match shooters need heavy barrels in my worthless opinion. 

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

I hate heavy rifles. Even when I was slim and young I always went for nice handling off hand because it's the close encounters I dont want clutter in the way and I want to walk miles.

Unless you're  shooting at long range for multiple shots it makes no difference except if one has a short barrel of say 18" but even then you are starting to rob long range performance so may as well keep some length and lose the weight.

Only prairie dog towns and match shooters need heavy barrels in my worthless opinion. 

My WMR is a varmint barrel and for off hand shooting I find it cumbersome even worse with NV add on.  My Tikka .22lr is a pleasure to shoot with the sporting barrel and seriously wished I had waited until they were available so it is time to say goodbye to the WMR.

Phil

36 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

If you are hoofing about all over then i suppose lighter is the way to go. I on the other hand don't or rarely. At times i have numerous shots at range, one example is where i cull Canadas. I have had as many as seventeen before they lifted. A light sporter barrel wouldn't like that and start moving about. Wherever you live the under one hundred yards may be the norm but it isn't here. I shoot on a lot of agricultural land, big flat open fields and i am happy if a shot is two hundred yards but they are usually much further than that.   

46 minutes ago, ianm said:

If you are hoofing about all over then i suppose lighter is the way to go. I on the other hand don't or rarely. At times i have numerous shots at range, one example is where i cull Canadas. I have had as many as seventeen before they lifted. A light sporter barrel wouldn't like that and start moving about. Wherever you live the under one hundred yards may be the norm but it isn't here. I shoot on a lot of agricultural land, big flat open fields and i am happy if a shot is two hundred yards but they are usually much further than that.   

Sure. But dont be fooled by this old man!

All my rifles over the years, all sporter weights and some lighter have shot well beyond 100yds with many memorable shots beyond 300yds.

It is somewhat a myth about shots walking being totally linked to barrel weight. Many other factors play a role. In fact a heavy barrel with poor stress relief work will also walk its shots.

I stand by what life has shown me. Heavy or bull barrels came about by bench rest shooters after calibre groups and prairie dog shooters trying to reach the tiny critters to beyond 800yds and not shooting foxs and geese in britain!

Hey, I shoot my rimfires beyond 200yds now! I shot foxes with fly weight barrels at 200 all the time. 300 wasnt much of an issue from a good rest. Even shot numerous geese as well.

You crack on though buddy?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Sure. But dont be fooled by this old man!

All my rifles over the years, all sporter weights and some lighter have shot well beyond 100yds with many memorable shots beyond 300yds.

It is somewhat a myth about shots walking being totally linked to barrel weight. Many other factors play a role. In fact a heavy barrel with poor stress relief work will also walk its shots.

I stand by what life has shown me. Heavy or bull barrels came about by bench rest shooters after calibre groups and prairie dog shooters trying to reach the tiny critters to beyond 800yds and not shooting foxs and geese in britain!

Hey, I shoot my rimfires beyond 200yds now! I shot foxes with fly weight barrels at 200 all the time. 300 wasnt much of an issue from a good rest. Even shot numerous geese as well.

You crack on though buddy?

I don't care!

I prefer varmint barrels because they work for me.

Why would anyone want to shoot a rimfire beyond 200yds?