On the look out

2 hours ago, Night Walker said:

Last pic of him is quality, looks a fine animal and by the praise he’s getting he’s some animal as well ?

He's thrown himself in his pups as well, the one I've got was smallest in the litter (picked on purpose) and is a fiery little thing, with an awesome temp. Has taken to work with no effort from me and have been surprised how hard she is considering she's a little softie in the house.

• Like 3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame they get old

Right guys my little whippet Russel has finally come into season and I’m on the lookout for a stud for her as the dog I was going to use only produced one pup out of a litter he just sired. Ideally I’

Hes 13 now. Heres a few pics of him in his prime  

Posted Images

On 04/02/2021 at 20:06, SheepChaser said:

Only problem I see is you create a different thing. That dog is a terrier x, leggy terrier hunting dog. Whippet grey over it, becomes a fast little lurcher with a little terrier that’s built for different things maybe, lighter, less tough and gritty maybe. Don’t know if I’m saying it right but I know what I mean. Depends what you’re after though I guess. 

I completely agree with this sentiment on many levels. The number of times on here (and before the internet when reading Countryman's Weekly and Shooting News letters pages) when similar questions came up. Somebody has a dog of a type not like the "normal" lurcher e.g. very small whirrier type or heavily base blood orientated and everybody says, "mate it to a pure greyhound (or a 28" 1/4 bull 3/4 greyhoundx saluki)." Then lo and behold the owners says that the next generation is faster but, "there's a certain something missing." I'm not saying it doesn't give you what you want in 99% of cases but when the original dog is a bit different then you need a mating which is a little different. But that's just my humble opinion...and what would I know...it's been twenty four years since I bought a dog with any sighthound in it.?

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I must say it’d be a fecking shame not to try that dog of Tylas. Seems perfect given the short notice. And it’d be fascinating to see some well bred alternatives to the beddies.

It ticks all the boxes asked for eh BH :victory:, a proven dog that throws a type not unlike itself.ok it's old but well worth the risk as the rewards won't be wasted..

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Neal said:

I completely agree with this sentiment on many levels. The number of times on here (and before the internet when reading Countryman's Weekly and Shooting News letters pages) when similar questions came up. Somebody has a dog of a type not like the "normal" lurcher e.g. very small whirrier type or heavily base blood orientated and everybody says, "mate it to a pure greyhound (or a 28" 1/4 bull 3/4 greyhoundx saluki)." Then lo and behold the owners says that the next generation is faster but, "there's a certain something missing." I'm not saying it doesn't give you what you want in 99% of cases but when the original dog is a bit different then you need a mating which is a little different. But that's just my humble opinion...and what would I know...it's been twenty four years since I bought a dog with any sighthound in it.?

Same with the heavily collie blooded dogs used to be around ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, fireman said:

It ticks all the boxes asked for eh BH :victory:, a proven dog that throws a type not unlike itself.ok it's old but well worth the risk as the rewards won't be wasted..

Totally understand socks concern over the dogs age. But my thinking would be the dog sired a full litter only a year ago and i can always find another stud for the next time she comes in if it fails, but an old dog like that might not ever be available again. And these Russel whippets aren’t exactly ten a penny.

Just my thinking. Which is easy when I don’t have any of the responsibility for it. HA

• Like 2

I have a 3/4whippet 1/4terrier dog here,never breed from him before,I'm not into the money side of it ,and would hate the pups off my hound to get into the wrong hands.hes 10 now and been a great dog.lamps,ferrets, tracks,and retrieves on the pheasant shoot.love to keep a nice puppy back from him.hes put a few expensive gun dogs to Shame by retrieving  ducks from frozen ponds.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Qbgrey said:

I have a 3/4whippet 1/4terrier dog here,never breed from him before,I'm not into the money side of it ,and would hate the pups off my hound to get into the wrong hands.hes 10 now and been a great dog.lamps,ferrets, tracks,and retrieves on the pheasant shoot.love to keep a nice puppy back from him.hes put a few expensive gun dogs to Shame by retrieving  ducks from frozen ponds.

What type of terrier bud & any pics. Always fancied a whippet x terrier as my nxt & last dog. Atb

On 04/02/2021 at 16:55, socks said:

Right guys my little whippet Russel has finally come into season and I’m on the lookout for a stud for her as the dog I was going to use only produced one pup out of a litter he just sired. Ideally I’m looking for a 3/4 whippet 1/4 terrier. 

2286F59A-8928-432A-B0DC-04A81F422B77.jpeg

All these fertility people that mess with all these fancy breeds are adamant it’s down to the bitch and how many fertile eggs are released that affects litter sizes 

Seen the bitch and heard a bit about the dog....should produce cracking dogs for a bit of everything, ratting, ferreting, bushing and even a bit of lamping...

Could well see one of these pups doing a bit in Devon..?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...