The plummer terrier

9 hours ago, sid g said:

must be a lot about market was flooded with em i think i had everyone of em at some stage apart from blucks i`ve owned every terrierbook ever written i`ve got one terrier book here now that i keep for sentimental reasons . 

I've got a big bookcase full, hoping to sell them in my dotage ...........?

Cheers, D.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is why most folk don't like the plummer terrier.....But as a fella who mooched with lurchers,ferreted both rats and rabbits, ratted a lot and  for a few digs a season the one i had i have nev

a couple of images of my russell/ plummer. for interest

Few thier PUD

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Your last post baffles  me Steve . How many gens do you think it would take to breed out something put in and what would you put over what to do so .I’ve added bull via a 3/4 pat so 1/4 bull .The lad breeding the first half cross has never used another but there is no mistaking the dogs he breeds .I’m a firm believer that once the physical attributes are gone ,bred out so is any other attribute but might be wrong .

I'd say 2 or 3. I'd a granddaughter of the last bull cross Plummer did in late 90s. To look at her you'd think there was no bull in her - her dam (3/4 plummer, 1/4 bull) looked an obvious bull cross. 

4 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

I'd say 2 or 3. I'd a granddaughter of the last bull cross Plummer did in late 90s. To look at her you'd think there was no bull in her - her dam (3/4 plummer, 1/4 bull) looked an obvious bull cross. 

Are you meaning putting back full line breeds over bull out crosses TT or full bull bloods .

1 hour ago, sid g said:

only got this left reason being my daughter won 20 quid for a child handling champs when she was 10  at one of the shows and she went and bought this with it to say thank you for taking her to the shows i think that year i got dragged round 50 shows ? 51zfFJYix+L._SX362_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

that book kind of sums up the future of the Plummer terrier type. Written to justify the reason for KC recognition for a type that had got along very nicely as a working terrier up until then. A lot longer than the Plummer type. They got them registered, closed the gene pool, made shit loads of money. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, foxdropper said:

Are you meaning putting back full line breeds over bull out crosses TT or full bull bloods .

Bitch I had was 1/8 bull - just the one cross of bull in her. (Apart from the legendary/ fictitious one back in 60s or 70s).I think Legion kennels bred away from it too quickly. That bitch I had was born on Christmas day 2003 -already a granddaughter of a dog born in 99 - flying through the generations rather than testing each one and breeding best to best.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Your last post baffles  me Steve . How many gens do you think it would take to breed out something put in and what would you put over what to do so .I’ve added bull via a 3/4 pat so 1/4 bull .The lad breeding the first half cross has never used another but there is no mistaking the dogs he breeds .I’m a firm believer that once the physical attributes are gone ,bred out so is any other attribute but might be wrong .

I have no idea how many anythings with bulls as they ain't my thing and i have no intention of ever adding it to anything so i don't care,all i did was say what the folk who added said why they added it...

• Confused 1
9 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

Bitch I had was 1/8 bull - just the one cross of bull in her. (Apart from the legendary/ fictitious one back in 60s or 70s).I think Legion kennels bred away from it too quickly. That bitch I had was born on Christmas day 2003 -already a granddaughter of a dog born in 99 - flying through the generations rather than testing each one and breeding best to best.

Legion/plummer bred from a pet bull and it wasn't the first choice bull he used,the first choice dog was a real deal and plummer was told to do one when he asked to use it..

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

In my experience .Introducing a fresh bloodline ie bull x to a terrier strain and by that I mean a bull x terrier 1/8,1/4,1/2,3/4 is based on how long the line of terrier has been about to absorb the introduction .

All lines arnt equal .The older the line the easier it is to breed out unwanted additions like size .New creations will need time to breed out selected traits .

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, fireman said:

I have no idea how many anythings with bulls as they ain't my thing and i have no intention of ever adding it to anything so i don't care,all i did was say what the folk who added said why they added it...

You actually said 

“The thing about a proper bull is it's pure and you can sort of know what your going to get by adding it bone and body wise and it being pure as such you can breed it back out”

Just wondering how you arrived at that statement Steve ,no trick question .