The plummer terrier

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is why most folk don't like the plummer terrier.....But as a fella who mooched with lurchers,ferreted both rats and rabbits, ratted a lot and  for a few digs a season the one i had i have nev

a couple of images of my russell/ plummer. for interest

Few thier PUD

Posted Images

On 16/02/2021 at 19:53, shaaark said:

The mate I mentioned with the whip/grey x russell, a couple of weeks back, owned a similar 'sealyham' type russell bitch about 40 years ago. Got the bitch from trealaw or treherbert. Cracking bitch.

Remember the rough haired terrier in the lads kennel as it stood out amongst the other terriers that were patterdale types as young lads we questioned the owner about the dog and he said it was a good honest worker . Plummer was unheard of to us at the time though the lad who's kennels we rocked up at after rabbiting with our pack of mongrels and terriers nearby and had the time for us became a good mate who is now in his 70s and was a good well known terrier man in s.yorks.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Had to make the decision to let go of my little lad recently,shame as i really liked the dog but he just hated my mrs coming anywhere near me i think he thought i needed protecting from her

Sounds like he'd be handy at my place sometimes, lol.

• Haha 1
On 17/02/2021 at 05:07, fireman said:

He put a russell over a beagle,then fox terrier,bull,patterdale were added along the way

I can understand adding the beagle in to make the terriers more pack friendly but then adding dog aggressive bull blood? The more I hear about Plummer the more I understand why he isn't everyone's cuppa but I suppose people are still talking about him so he got his wish, lol. They do look like good ratting dogs on the vids I've seen. I doubt there are any over here.

Had pretty much all of the terrier and lurcher books written up untill about 10years back along with every edrd going back to the first one but flogged or gave away pretty much all of them after meeting or spending days out with a fair few authors/article writers and realising most of them are full of complete shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
19 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Had pretty much all of the terrier and lurcher books written up untill about 10years back along with every edrd going back to the first one but flogged or gave away pretty much all of them after meeting or spending days out with a fair few authors/article writers and realising most of them are full of complete shit.

Very true and they take the glory of others. 

At the end of the day unless you have seen it you should take it with a pinch of salt.

Most genuine lads couldn't dream of writing a book so it is what it is. 

When you say videos of Plummer I got the impression he had some form of autism. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Isn’t there a few breakaway clubs that dispute all the above though Steve .

There's a few break away groups doing there own thing but not heard any of them disputing how the plummer started as such,but that was years ago and iv'e heard of all sorts popping up in DNA tests lately so does it matter any more.Some lads are trying to do some out crosses but what sort of programe they have going i don't know,but good luck to them and if they do it right they should produce something worth taking out..

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I can understand adding the beagle in to make the terriers more pack friendly but then adding dog aggressive bull blood? The more I hear about Plummer the more I understand why he isn't everyone's cuppa but I suppose people are still talking about him so he got his wish, lol. They do look like good ratting dogs on the vids I've seen. I doubt there are any over here.

The thing about a proper bull is it's pure and you can sort of know what your going to get by adding it bone and body wise and it being pure as such you can breed it back out,ok you will get throw backs etc but you know what traits the offspring will keep as a bull x has been done a few times with a few things and the bone stays as we all know and that's why the bull was added to give head and jaw size and strength to it.There was some over there and i think in NZ as well but if they carried anything on with them i have no idea..

• Like 2

Your last post baffles  me Steve . How many gens do you think it would take to breed out something put in and what would you put over what to do so .I’ve added bull via a 3/4 pat so 1/4 bull .The lad breeding the first half cross has never used another but there is no mistaking the dogs he breeds .I’m a firm believer that once the physical attributes are gone ,bred out so is any other attribute but might be wrong .

• Like 2