The plummer terrier

24 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

That’s sounds the same as what’s happened to another certain breed ? don’t you think mate 

I Certainly do LM. Its a real pity when egos get in the way of a breeds progress.

• Like 1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is why most folk don't like the plummer terrier.....But as a fella who mooched with lurchers,ferreted both rats and rabbits, ratted a lot and  for a few digs a season the one i had i have nev

a couple of images of my russell/ plummer. for interest

Few thier PUD

Posted Images

9 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Are the camels still out of control over there  ? 

I know they are still shooting them. They are supposed to be very healthy stock and we were selling them back to the Arabs, don't know what's going on atm with that deal. Camels, donkeys and brumbies are animals that would sicken me having to shoot.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

A wild horse, I was talking to the bloke that agists his race horses on our place last week about them, he said they are classed as a breed now.

Do people catch them up and break them or are they too wild now? 

13 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

Only one thing defines a terrier for me and that's working under the sod until dug then it is my preference on colour and type, I've got to be honest as far as Plummer go they are a nice type to look at ,  the crosses I saw were not working terriers as defined, without all his books they'd of died out or just become a Russell type , but look at likes of  his book omega stating they were already badly inbred then and were full of physical faults, something even as a young man I found odd who the hell breeds unfit stock!! Another reason to stop reading his dribble,  the faults still with the type 30 years later something those who have come after are struggling with breeding for coat pattern not health 

As already said WHWT on here has Plummers that have stayed until dug to even his old westie has been dug to a few times but he puts the work in to his dogs

1 hour ago, Netmaker said:

As already said WHWT on here has Plummers that have stayed until dug to even his old westie has been dug to a few times but he puts the work in to his dogs

Not doubting  for a moment some are dug or that some are healthy but as a type no doubt heading for KC reg with all its clubs and registration the vast majority are bred down from stock riddled with quite major physical faults although working them and then culling will sort out some of the wheat from the chaff?   WHWT stuff are the ones I've always thought of as a tidy type and as for westie being dug I also took one digging for a friend 20 years ago it was ok but I've also dug to cocker and Springer spaniel foxhounds of all types , collies and  lurchers my observation and point of view are not aimed at anyone but let's just say there are those who would drag a bag full of  bones around a show ring as long as there ego gets a stroke 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 11
1 hour ago, Netmaker said:

Thats the thing there sounds like folk like katchum and the feller above would get a chihuahua doing bits and bobs. They put the time in and get a dog out. Doesnt mean because the fellers mentioned above dogs are useful we should all go out and buy plummers or westys Lol

9 minutes ago, C.green said:

Thats the thing there sounds like folk like katchum and the feller above would get a chihuahua doing bits and bobs. They put the time in and get a dog out. Doesnt mean because the fellers mentioned above dogs are useful we should all go out and buy plummers or westys Lol

Not saying you should all I am saying is that there are Plummer terrier been dug to and staying until dug to I never met plummer but have heard the storys about him at the end of the day a dog only has to please the man/woman that feeds it

4 hours ago, gnipper said:

Do people catch them up and break them or are they too wild now? 

They do, there are some nice horses amongst them and are tough and healthy. There is a big debate atm about shooting them in a national park in the Snowy mountains.They cause a lot of damage but they are sort of an icon there.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Glyn..... said:

During the mid 80's to early 90's there were loads of Nuttall x plummer doing the rounds alot just looked like black , red or black & tan  smooth patts with lots of white on the chest and legs not sure how much influence they had on patts or plummer breeding but its was quite a fad for a while 

This dog was a gift off plummer,he was pagan x vampire,so a quarter patterdale Nigel hinchcliffes stuff was used as an outcross.

334F190E-A273-4432-9924-0615BC2C2070.jpeg

8330C154-D77B-4FEE-B7FC-A9939F2CA156.jpeg

353674B4-6C89-4F8B-9C00-C49186D097DD.jpeg

• Like 15
29 minutes ago, mango said:

This dog was a gift off plummer,he was pagan x vampire,so a quarter patterdale Nigel hinchcliffes stuff was used as an outcross.

334F190E-A273-4432-9924-0615BC2C2070.jpeg

8330C154-D77B-4FEE-B7FC-A9939F2CA156.jpeg

353674B4-6C89-4F8B-9C00-C49186D097DD.jpeg

Its a good cross. Did it myself a few years ago. Same story as with you're one - Plummer owners more likely to use a red n white dog than a different colour one with a good few busy seasons behind it. (Best of that litter has still never covered a bitch at 7)

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, gnipper said:

Looked a useful dog that one mango. 

Do you think many plummers of today look like the stuff back then?

Not really,the modern plummer has a "better/bigger/stronger head and muzzle but the coats are worse as there not as thick and weather proof as they once were like the dog above has.The over all shape as well has grown a bit longer legged and squarer and not like the dog above which is shorter and more oblong in shape..

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fireman said:

Not really,the modern plummer has a "better/bigger/stronger head and muzzle but the coats are worse as there not as thick and weather proof as they once were like the dog above has.The over all shape as well has grown a bit longer legged and squarer and not like the dog above which is shorter and more oblong in shape..

The ones in his books look like little 10 inch russels with red jackets and today they look a lot different to me. There are still some russels around of that size with a good thick smooth coat which to me would be the ideal outcross for the current plummers.

• Like 1