The plummer terrier

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is why most folk don't like the plummer terrier.....But as a fella who mooched with lurchers,ferreted both rats and rabbits, ratted a lot and  for a few digs a season the one i had i have nev

a couple of images of my russell/ plummer. for interest

Few thier PUD

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Sounds like people need to get over that and concentrate on the dogs. They look tidy little ratting machines. That's what they were bred for so I can't see why they compare them to denning or digging terriers. They look better at the ratting job than the other types.

If i was after a ratting terrier they would be my first choice same as known saluki hybrids' would be my choice if i wanted a coursing dog.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I still think ratting is one of the best sports,I'd rather go ratting than hunting pigs any day. Plenty of breeds and crosses for bushing.

Cant compare them feral pigs ya slipping great dane crosses on to our european boar feller. There men over here catching roe fox muntjac odd boar with there terriers aswell as getting them doing the usual bits of ratting rabbiting fetching to the catty ect.my favourite of it all is squrrieling but most dogs will do it not many terriers will catch and hold a munty or kill a few rabbits in cover

4 minutes ago, Netmaker said:

WHWT on here has Plummer terriers that have caught more rabbits in cover than most of the bushing  bred's on here and have been dug to

Tbh with ya the dropping in indont like but thats what a busher is to me. See alot of these beagle crosses just harassing stuff and bieng noisy

• Like 1
1 hour ago, C.green said:

Cant compare them feral pigs ya slipping great dane crosses on to our european boar feller.

A bit more to pig hunting than that lol, and  wild boars here will kill your dogs just as quick.  We also have deer, in pest numbers now, feral goats, fox, hare ,rabbits, roos and dingo plus buffalo and banteng cattle up north. We have dogs to hunt most of these. I still like ratting with terriers and rabbiting with the whippets the most and have since I was young. Having a breed that is specialized in ratting as is the plummer is a good thing and if kept to that quarry they will only get better at it with each generation.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

A bit more to pig hunting than that lol, and  wild boars here will kill your dogs just as quick.  We also have deer, in pest numbers now, feral goats, fox, hare ,rabbits, roos and dingo plus buffalo and banteng cattle up north. We have dogs to hunt most of these. I still like ratting with terriers and rabbiting with the whippets the most and have since I was young. Having a breed that is specialized in ratting as is the plummer is a good thing and if kept to that quarry they will only get better at it with each generation.

Are the camels still out of control over there  ? 

Always disliked Plummers and said so on here a good few times but then that was when i've seen them 'tried' as earth dogs and the ones i seen were shite.

Over the past couple of seasons, i've been ratting with a few and if i'm being honest, seen more of their worth.

I've no idea to which lines these different Plummers belong to and I usually feck off up the bank when their owners start waffling on about breeding but i do know they are all different in both lineage and shape and size.

All but one have been sharp handy little ratters, with the other being a late starter but making progress, all have decent noses and are fast to the catch BUT all but one ( not the same one) have been spiteful, jealous fighting curs, that will bite a hand as well as a rat, if that hand tries to see what their digging at.

Now that said, i recon all of them would be better as lone working dogs and for someone that wants to go at different stuff they would seem pretty handy and the better ones i've seen on here seem to be worked that way.

One of the dogs was an old boy that i was told had been to ground a bit and was a cracking ratter but sadly liked a scrap. This dog i did think about putting over my fat headed, big eared busher/ratter (for a week or two!) but he snuffed it before he got the chance, thankfully..!! ?

If there is an afterlife I would imagine that Mr. D B Plummer will be looking down, or looking up, and loving the fact that people are still breeding and more importantly arguing about the "breed" that he created. Was his true intent to create something better than that which already existed or achieve some kind of immortality by having a "breed" of dog named after him? 

Either get them KC registered, close the gene pool, breed and judge to a written standard, and stop any future arguments as to what they are and how they should look . If they aint got a bit of paper proving what they are then they aint what the owner or breeder says they are.

Or, accept that they are just, at best, a working type. Same as a Patterdale or Russell. Different types bred and worked by different people with their own standards. Not something dictated by a committee to be defined only in a show ring and by the price people outside of working dogs are willing to pay.

Has to be one or the other.

• Like 4

During the mid 80's to early 90's there were loads of Nuttall x plummer doing the rounds alot just looked like black , red or black & tan  smooth patts with lots of white on the chest and legs not sure how much influence they had on patts or plummer breeding but its was quite a fad for a while 

15 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

During the mid 80's to early 90's there were loads of Nuttall x plummer doing the rounds alot just looked like black , red or black & tan  smooth patts with lots of white on the chest and legs not sure how much influence they had on patts or plummer breeding but its was quite a fad for a while 

What defines a terrier as type or breed? Colour alone? I think this was something that Mr D B Plummer was very clever with in his plans. To be a Plummer terrier it must have the distinctive and almost unique markings? Something cannot be "almost" unique, it is or it is not. 

11 hours ago, eastcoast said:

What defines a terrier as type or breed? Colour alone? I think this was something that Mr D B Plummer was very clever with in his plans. To be a Plummer terrier it must have the distinctive and almost unique markings? Something cannot be "almost" unique, it is or it is not. 

Only one thing defines a terrier for me and that's working under the sod until dug then it is my preference on colour and type, I've got to be honest as far as Plummer go they are a nice type to look at ,  the crosses I saw were not working terriers as defined, without all his books they'd of died out or just become a Russell type , but look at likes of  his book omega stating they were already badly inbred then and were full of physical faults, something even as a young man I found odd who the hell breeds unfit stock!! Another reason to stop reading his dribble,  the faults still with the type 30 years later something those who have come after are struggling with breeding for coat pattern not health 

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

If there is an afterlife I would imagine that Mr. D B Plummer will be looking down, or looking up, and loving the fact that people are still breeding and more importantly arguing about the "breed" that he created. Was his true intent to create something better than that which already existed or achieve some kind of immortality by having a "breed" of dog named after him? 

Either get them KC registered, close the gene pool, breed and judge to a written standard, and stop any future arguments as to what they are and how they should look . If they aint got a bit of paper proving what they are then they aint what the owner or breeder says they are.

Or, accept that they are just, at best, a working type. Same as a Patterdale or Russell. Different types bred and worked by different people with their own standards. Not something dictated by a committee to be defined only in a show ring and by the price people outside of working dogs are willing to pay.

Has to be one or the other.

Reading on various plummer forums i think you have a group that are pushing for kc reg and a group who favour the outcross route and widening the gene pool with plenty of arguments inbetween.  There seems to me a lot of infighting goes on between the owners of plummers.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, darbo said:

Reading on various plummer forums i think you have a group that are pushing for kc reg and a group who favour the outcross route and widening the gene pool with plenty of arguments inbetween.  There seems to me a lot of infighting goes on between the owners of plummers.

That’s sounds the same as what’s happened to another certain breed ? don’t you think mate 

• Like 1