The plummer terrier

1 hour ago, sid g said:

a mate of mine had 2 bitches off  coalville lines x vandal   from joe  , joes pedigrees were a bit hit n miss , he had them for ratting he gave one to a mate to set him up the other died with some sort of organ failure when it was about 4 .. i think other people pushed the breed on  better than dbp did,  i think the lack of decent dogs in the gene pool and the breeders not getting on did`nt  help the working side , no doubt they`ll be lads still breeding the odd worker , 

I don’t know a lot about the breed , I’ve seen YouTube clips ratting. They are obviously all over rats .

hundreds in a day... quick little dogs and don’t stay with dead ones,... and don’t scrap over em .

I can’t understand the lack of outcross to expand , enhance , or whatever the polite word is .

surely a good , small , tight Russel is perfect .

talk of bedlington , Lucas ffs , I don’t get.

if a Plummer is a Russell , beagle , Staffordshire 

surely a good Russell would increase the gene pool.

They are very ‘ Russell type ‘.

The size of the plummer seems to be increasing.

im no expert on anything , again it’s just my opinion.

what’s the Plummer lads thoughts on outcross / gene pool.

ATB ....T

• Like 8

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is why most folk don't like the plummer terrier.....But as a fella who mooched with lurchers,ferreted both rats and rabbits, ratted a lot and  for a few digs a season the one i had i have nev

a couple of images of my russell/ plummer. for interest

Few thier PUD

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I don’t know a lot about the breed , I’ve seen YouTube clips ratting. They are obviously all over rats .

hundreds in a day... quick little dogs and don’t stay with dead ones,... and don’t scrap over em .

I can’t understand the lack of outcross to expand , enhance , or whatever the polite word is .

surely a good , small , tight Russel is perfect .

talk of bedlington , Lucas ffs , I don’t get.

if a Plummer is a Russell , beagle , Staffordshire 

surely a good Russell would increase the gene pool.

They are very ‘ Russell type ‘.

The size of the plummer seems to be increasing.

im no expert on anything , again it’s just my opinion.

what’s the Plummer lads thoughts on outcross / gene pool.

ATB ....T

Bet there thoughts wouldn’t be far off the beddy lads once you outcross the purest noses get turned up but there still sit there moaning the gene pool to small 

8 hours ago, poxon said:

Scott used to live near me used to occasionally bump in to him when we were out mooching about me my cousin an our Lurchers used to have a couple of plummers an the odd beddy with him pleasant enough chap ??

I lost touch with Scott a few years back and would love to tell him all about Molly as he bred a bloody good un then and you are right mate he was a very pleasant chap indeed and i hope he is doing well in life...:victory:..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sid g said:

it needs someone to use the same breeds used to create the breed  to start a whole new gene pool i dont know as anyone would/could be arsed with it , dbp had the ego and eccentricity to do it , 

Would a direct outcross not invigorate the pool.

What I mean is put in qualities you want directly,

a staff , beagle , Russell , glen , Sealyham 

is a complex mix at best.

ATB ... T  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, sid g said:

it would be a short cut but long term and to create a large enough gene pool i think you`d need to recreate the original breed ... be lads on here more into genetics than me but i think i`m on the right tracks 

So the breed would have to start again.

then put the resulting dogs over the existing bitches.

I know nothing about genetics Sid ?.

ATB... T

2 hours ago, poxon said:

Bet there thoughts wouldn’t be far off the beddy lads once you outcross the purest noses get turned up but there still sit there moaning the gene pool to small 

Nowt wrong with beddys noses it’s there best asset they already got good lakey and fell in the hybreds putting plummers in them which are really only mongralised Russell’s would be big backward step 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
3 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

Nowt wrong with beddys noses it’s there best asset they already got good lakey and fell in the hybreds putting plummers in them which are really only mongralised Russell’s would be big backward step 

Here he is!! No one as said about putting plummers in to beddys don’t know we’re you got that from or about beddys noses??‍♂️ my answer to the original question is using beddys with tongue in cheek as a guideline the purest would say there not plummers if there outcrossed same as the purest kc beddy owners snub out cross beddys they won’t want to put back in to the lines because they want to keep kc but will sit there moaning the gene pool is small that’s what I’m getting at ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, poxon said:

Here he is!! No one as said about putting plummers in to beddys don’t know we’re you got that from or about beddys noses??‍♂️ my answer to the original question is using beddys with tongue in cheek as a guideline the purest would say there not plummers if there outcrossed same as the purest kc beddy owners snub out cross beddys they won’t want to put back in to the lines because they want to keep kc but will sit there moaning the gene pool is small that’s what I’m getting at ??

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 09/02/2021 at 12:13, baker boy said:

Same type found in every street in every mining village in South Wales

Often wondered what other breeds went into them obviously not bred for their looks and more for their working ability i have seen no terriers around me that resembles that terrier that came by way of Plummer that i saw 46 years ago and one i have seen bred of them that made a name in east London as a digging dog.

3 minutes ago, baker boy said:

I think there was probably working Sealyham blood in them, I has a lemon and white bitch over 40 years ago that was the image of the early Sealyham terriers

I often thought that tbh i have a pic some were of a bitch my mate had that came off the well known dog from London though it threw black and tan from the bitches side.

• Like 1