Concrete pad

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebar in a shed base ?? Do you lads not think that's a bit overkill ..  4" deep concrete would be my way of going 

So have I as Im a groundworker for a living and Ive seen concrete crack because of ground movement especially if the ground has a lot of clay.A sheet of mesh is 16/20 quid.Hardley gunna break the bank

Posted Images

At the very best you are dillusioned. That building ain’t going on your back garden unless you’ve bought a few yards of your neighbours  ground ffs. Now seriously. When I moved to present location I applied for what is now our double garage. On the councillors advice I set all foundations etc to, in the future, allow me to change to habitable accomodation. Now this is in place and as I am getting older the decision was clearly a wise one. Point I’m making is, sort the ground work out properly and the future will take care of itself. I know it boils down to affordability but go for the best pal. Jok.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, jok said:

At the very best you are dillusioned. That building ain’t going on your back garden unless you’ve bought a few yards of your neighbours  ground ffs. Now seriously. When I moved to present location I applied for what is now our double garage. On the councillors advice I set all foundations etc to, in the future, allow me to change to habitable accomodation. Now this is in place and as I am getting older the decision was clearly a wise one. Point I’m making is, sort the ground work out properly and the future will take care of itself. I know it boils down to affordability but go for the best pal. Jok.

You are right. Take time to get drains and everything in place. 

But it will fckin fit!!!! 

• Thanks 1

Which leads me to the next possible hiccup. Do you, because you are laying foundations, need to have a word with the authorities. Your neighbours might also have a little word. Oh alright I’m a killjoy but things can bite you on the arse. Jok.

14 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Do it right do it once.

I've laid concrete right in a few different scenarios , from driveways , garage floors , house floors ect and rebar is only needed if theres going to be heavy loads on the concrete .. 

There's doing it right and spending money for no reason

• Like 3
Just now, jok said:

Which leads me to the next possible hiccup. Do you, because you are laying foundations, need to have a word with the authorities. Your neighbours might also have a little word. Oh alright I’m a killjoy but things can bite you on the arse. Jok.

Where's the foundations?? It's a concrete pad 

2 minutes ago, Chid said:

I've laid concrete right in a few different scenarios , from driveways , garage floors , house floors ect and rebar is only needed if theres going to be heavy loads on the concrete .. 

That’s what I thought ??‍♂️ 4” should be hundreds with good hardcore underneath 

2 minutes ago, jok said:

I wouldn't think I'd need to get permission for a concrete slab...im not actually digging proper footings in. I get on with the neighbours and know they don't have any concerns 

Totally agree with all the above. The biggest problems I’ve had are boundaries and drainage. All I’m saying is that someone is quite likely to mean and to be ready for it. I had a great neighbour until I didn’t have a great neighbour. He wondered why I was wandering round his property with a rifle looking for the fox that killed 38 chickens. Only saying like. Jok.

13 minutes ago, Chid said:

So have I as Im a groundworker for a living and Ive seen concrete crack because of ground movement especially if the ground has a lot of clay.A sheet of mesh is 16/20 quid.Hardley gunna break the bank

• Like 6