Concrete pad

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebar in a shed base ?? Do you lads not think that's a bit overkill ..  4" deep concrete would be my way of going 

So have I as Im a groundworker for a living and Ive seen concrete crack because of ground movement especially if the ground has a lot of clay.A sheet of mesh is 16/20 quid.Hardley gunna break the bank

Posted Images

I got the barrow service for my new kennels/shed its 6inch deep and 18ftx10ft cost me £410,the 2 lads barrow it in and we levelled it all done in just over an hour mate.I put the pin curbs in 1st and had them spot on level then lined with black plastic shhet

B4EA629A-F59A-4B09-A2F5-E73E9675D0DC.jpeg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Elchapo said:

2” pavers are 600 x 600 so there weight is spread over a tiny area compared to a 8ft by 4 ft concrete slab for example , when the ground shrinks/ moves / drops which sooner or later it will then half of the slab will be holding the other half’s weight causing it to crack , I Layed a 8ft by 16 ft slab in my back yard when first moved in , layed it on 2 “ hardcore 4” thick concrete no steel reinforcements, bout 3 years later big crack strait through the middle and that only hAd dog pens on it ,

now I have the same size slab using the same size concrete type with steel reinforcement in it with full solid block work shed on it and is perfectly fine 10 year later 

Are you sure someone hadn't driven a lorry across it???At least somebody has had actual experience of what I was trying to explain.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, downsouth said:

Are you sure someone hadn't driven a lorry across it???At least somebody has had actual experience of what I was trying to explain.

I understand what your saying mate but 4” reinforced for a dog pen in your garden is extreme footpath to a house isn’t reinforced and that has a lot more traffic 

Down the line I’ll break that slab up I want kennel over there now 4” reinforced lol

Five and  one is the accepted hand mix mate .To work out quantity of ballast needed -length x width x depth ie 4 m x 6 m x .1 =2.4 m2.The square meterrage is then times by 2.2 which is the bulk of loose quantity in weight = 5.28 tonnes of ballast .8 bags of cement to the ton =42 bags of cement .

Concrete mixers are 3m2 ,6m2 and 8m2 

You pay  a part load charge for anything that isn’t a full load .

Reinforce it mate either 10 mm or 12 will do ,40 odd quid for 2.4 m x 4.8 m 

There ,been longing to put some of you  messers in your place for ages ,have that .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

There ,been longing to put some of you  messers in your place for ages ,have that .

Just to put you in your place ...  smallest truck is 4m2 out of the quarrys over here ??

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Five and  one is the accepted hand mix mate .To work out quantity of ballast needed -length x width x depth ie 4 m x 6 m x .1 =2.4 m2.The square meterrage is then times by 2.2 which is the bulk of loose quantity in weight = 5.28 tonnes of ballast .8 bags of cement to the ton =42 bags of cement .

You pay  a part load charge for anything that isn’t a full load .

Reinforce it mate either 10 mm or 12 will do ,40 odd quid for 2.4 m x 4.8 m 

Not really putting people in their place by knowing how to work out how much concrete a base will take.I reckon I could teach my 9 year old the formula to work that out in in about 10mins

10 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Got mini mix here which is 1m2

Ive seen one of them up in london but round here they are normally 4,6 or 8m.unless its a straight pour into a footing I nearly always use a volumetric these days as its less of a rush,they're so much cleaner as you dont end up with a prick of a drive overload ling barrows because they wanna be off in 5mins.A lot of our jobs we do on gas sites we still do a lot of knocking up by hand though as sometimes it too much agro to keep getting permits for lorries to keep coming on site.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Ive seen one of them up in london but round here they are normally 4,6 or 8m.unless its a straight pour into a footing I nearly always use a volumetric these days as its less of a rush,they're so much cleaner as you dont end up with a prick of a drive overload ling barrows because they wanna be off in 5mins.A lot of our jobs we do on gas sites we still do a lot of knocking up by hand though as sometimes it too much agro to keep getting permits for lorries to keep coming on site.

Just had to Google that, all mix wagons down here. But alot got pumps now and will send it right to where you need it 

3 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Reminded me of a driver we had few years back during World Cup .

Obviously wanted to be home early so as you say overloading barrows .One of my lads pushed his barrow to the front of the cab and shovelled the lot in side the cab .Driver realised and drove off part unloaded .Never did pay for that 4 m we had lol .That was Hanson ,bridge reinforce near Chippenham .

• Haha 1
On 04/02/2021 at 15:42, DIDO.1 said:

How much is the concrete going to cost and is there out else to consider?

On 04/02/2021 at 16:02, Ken's Deputy said:

Yeah. The hole in that nest box could have been higher up ?

20 minutes ago, sid g said:

or the box deeper

14 minutes ago, sid g said:

i think at last he`s got the advice he asked for ,, fooking bird box hole needs to be higher ..?

Box is perfectly adequate in its dimensions, Skidders. This is my subject. 

He asked. I told him ?

• Thanks 1