Concrete pad

This is going to be the site of my new shed/avairy/pigeon loft/bird room. I'm digging it all out at the minute. How thick shall I put the concrete in? How deep shall I dig down? I've got loads of hardcore and it's thick clay underneath 

Bare in mind how I do things on the cheap and cut corners.... 

How much is the concrete going to cost and is there out else to consider? 

IMG_20210204_153733.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rebar in a shed base ?? Do you lads not think that's a bit overkill ..  4" deep concrete would be my way of going 

So have I as Im a groundworker for a living and Ive seen concrete crack because of ground movement especially if the ground has a lot of clay.A sheet of mesh is 16/20 quid.Hardley gunna break the bank

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

This is going to be the site of my new shed/avairy/pigeon loft/bird room. I'm digging it all out at the minute. How thick shall I put the concrete in? How deep shall I dig down? I've got loads of hardcore and it's thick clay underneath 

Bare in mind how I do things on the cheap and cut corners.... 

How much is the concrete going to cost and is there out else to consider? 

IMG_20210204_153733.jpg

Just scrounge some old slabs and lay it on them, 150mm deep would be OK. 

• Like 1

4" thick will be fine as long as you chuck some mesh in it.if you can get 6"of hardcore whacked down under it all the better.Price for the concrete will depend obviously on size of base,Wether you're getting it readymixed or knocking it up yourself.If you are knocking up are you buying bulk bags of ballast from a builders merchant or loose from a quarry etc

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Yeah. The hole in that nest box could have been higher up ?

The nest box is one that arrived last summer full of bumble bees, I normally have half a dozen nests full each summer 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, downsouth said:

4" thick will be fine as long as you chuck some mesh in it.if you can get 6"of hardcore whacked down under it all the better.Price for the concrete will depend obviously on size of base,Wether you're getting it readymixed or knocking it up yourself.If you are knocking up are you buying bulk bags of ballast from a builders merchant or loose from a quarry etc

Ready mix I'd say 

1 hour ago, Arry said:

Have you though about levelling in three Railway sleepers and build off that. No mixing concrete that way.

Hard core and 100mm concrete if not.

Cheers Arry

I want the whole garden concrete and nice flags. I'm sick of 2 terriers and 2 boys digging holes everywhere. All my growing is going to be raised beds from now on as well 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

As downsouth said... Get some steel mesh in there, then 100/150mm of concrete should be fine, there's companies that will come mix it and barrow it in for you, then you only pay for what you use?DSC_2204.JPG.23e664cf679bf0231e5645b3332fc939.JPGDSC_2206.JPG.c1000e4ac361f2995e3d57fdd2bab9ed.JPG

If I pinch a load of security fencing will that work ?

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Will rust like f**k and contaminate the concrete, could then fail.... Do it properly.... Do it once..... ?

Yeah I know, I just need reminding not to be a rough cnut every now and again ?