Shortening a .223

I have a Howa 223 with a neilsen mod and really like the rifle and the calibre. My only gripe is that its a bit long. What would be the consequences of getting the barrel shortened? I know I would lose some feet per second but what difference will that make in real terms? I rarely shoot over 200 yards and usually under 150. Will shortening make much difference?

Search for:Search

53-off.png

What happens when you shorten a rifle barrel?

Bruce Potts

How much can it be reduced and what's the result? Bruce Potts investigates

Q: I have a lovely old Sako Vixen in .223 that I use for foxing, but I want to shorten the rifle barrel to fit a sound moderator and make it easier to carry. How much can my gunsmith shorten a rifle barrel length?

A: I have reduced many .223 barrels. If you take a .223 with a 52gr bullet travelling at 3,402fps and 1,337ft/lb energy from the 24in barrel — a pretty standard .223 fox load — and reduce the barrel to 20in, you will only lose 149fps overall velocity.

In practical terms, this is very little, yet the benefits in weight reduction and overall length are real. Taking an extra two inches off to 18in makes for a short-length rifle, but you will start to notice increased muzzle blast. This can be remedied with a sound moderator fitting as you wish.

At 18in, the velocity is 3,185fps and 1,171ft/lb energy, which is only 217fps short of the initial velocity at 24in. When zeroed at 100 yards, with the starting velocity, you are -2.1in low at 200yd and -9.5in low at 300yd.

With the shorter 18in barrel with 217fps reduction, this equates to a zero at 100yd and then a drop of -2.5in at 200yd and -11.3in at 300yd. So, at 200yd, there is only a -0.4in difference and at 300yd, a -1.8in difference. Not a lot really.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

I have a Howa 223 with a neilsen mod and really like the rifle and the calibre. My only gripe is that its a bit long. What would be the consequences of getting the barrel shortened? I know I would lose some feet per second but what difference will that make in real terms? I rarely shoot over 200 yards and usually under 150. Will shortening make much difference?

Ask your local dealer ?

42 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Ask your local dealer ?

If you are referring to a drug dealer i wouldnt know where to find one.

Its unbecoming to get bitchy just because you came across a bit strange on a different thread and I had a different opinion. It just makes you look daft all over again.

If you have anything useful to say with regards to my questions I'd be interested to hear it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BenBhoy said:
Search for:Search

53-off.png

What happens when you shorten a rifle barrel?

Bruce Potts

How much can it be reduced and what's the result? Bruce Potts investigates

Q: I have a lovely old Sako Vixen in .223 that I use for foxing, but I want to shorten the rifle barrel to fit a sound moderator and make it easier to carry. How much can my gunsmith shorten a rifle barrel length?

A: I have reduced many .223 barrels. If you take a .223 with a 52gr bullet travelling at 3,402fps and 1,337ft/lb energy from the 24in barrel — a pretty standard .223 fox load — and reduce the barrel to 20in, you will only lose 149fps overall velocity.

In practical terms, this is very little, yet the benefits in weight reduction and overall length are real. Taking an extra two inches off to 18in makes for a short-length rifle, but you will start to notice increased muzzle blast. This can be remedied with a sound moderator fitting as you wish.

At 18in, the velocity is 3,185fps and 1,171ft/lb energy, which is only 217fps short of the initial velocity at 24in. When zeroed at 100 yards, with the starting velocity, you are -2.1in low at 200yd and -9.5in low at 300yd.

With the shorter 18in barrel with 217fps reduction, this equates to a zero at 100yd and then a drop of -2.5in at 200yd and -11.3in at 300yd. So, at 200yd, there is only a -0.4in difference and at 300yd, a -1.8in difference. Not a lot really.

Thank you Benbhoy, thats exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated ? 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Tyla said:

If you are referring to a drug dealer i wouldnt know where to find one.

Its unbecoming to get bitchy just because you came across a bit strange on a different thread and I had a different opinion. It just makes you look daft all over again.

If you have anything useful to say with regards to my questions I'd be interested to hear it.

Drug dealer dont be daft ....Gun dealer ?

4 hours ago, Tyla said:

I took a good amount off my Remington 700 1:12 twist 223, and I can tell you it has dramatically changed the gun for the better in my view, before it was unwieldy and badly balanced , now I have it as a dedicated  night rifle and love it, I was going to get rid, it was that bad to handle, well worth the cost, I load my own rounds and found the lighter faster rounds suited it better so left it at that, I shoot most of my foxes out to 200 not many beyond that, and the guns been spot on, it’s now at 19 inch if I remember right it was around 25 inch, and when  the silencer was on it it was like house brick on a stick, 

47 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

I took a good amount off my Remington 700 1:12 twist 223, and I can tell you it has dramatically changed the gun for the better in my view, before it was unwieldy and badly balanced , now I have it as a dedicated  night rifle and love it, I was going to get rid, it was that bad to handle, well worth the cost, I load my own rounds and found the lighter faster rounds suited it better so left it at that, I shoot most of my foxes out to 200 not many beyond that, and the guns been spot on, it’s now at 19 inch if I remember right it was around 25 inch, and when  the silencer was on it it was like house brick on a stick, 

That is good to hear. Mine isn't unbearable but handling will definitely benefit from shortening. I just wanted to check with some more knowledgeable brains before  made the decision

29 minutes ago, Tyla said:

That is good to hear. Mine isn't unbearable but handling will definitely benefit from shortening. I just wanted to check with some more knowledgeable brains before  made the decision

Well I tell you I had all sorts of people saying about loss of feet per second but it doesn’t add up, not that I am saying you don’t loose FPS , but it is minimal and I have noticed no change in point of impact, I shoot 22 hornet in day time, and I kill regularly out to 200 yds, which I was told was it’s effective limit, I doubt the hornet is pushing the same energy as the 223 at that range, but it kills and very well, you have to look further than the bench rest guys who are looking for one hole groups, if the gun is unpractical as mine was, then why not, my gun is far better to use from the vehicle, or just to sneak up the wood side with at dusk, but get it done right and get the crown done properly,

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Well I tell you I had all sorts of people saying about loss of feet per second but it doesn’t add up, not that I am saying you don’t loose FPS , but it is minimal and I have noticed no change in point of impact, I shoot 22 hornet in day time, and I kill regularly out to 200 yds, which I was told was it’s effective limit, I doubt the hornet is pushing the same energy as the 223 at that range, but it kills and very well, you have to look further than the bench rest guys who are looking for one hole groups, if the gun is unpractical as mine was, then why not, my gun is far better to use from the vehicle, or just to sneak up the wood side with at dusk, but get it done right and get the crown done properly,

Thats exactly how I use mine. Its a great gun just gets caught on stuff and niggles me. I will take it to a decent gunsmith and get it done right. It'll need reproofing anyway

19 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:

What £££ did that set you back if you don't mind my asking?

I paid about £90 to have my .243 cut down and rethreaded but that was quite a long time ago. If the gunsmith is open I will get a quote and see what they charge now

• Like 1