What's cooking?

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit Pie ! And, for the purists, made with shortcrust pastry, NOT puff pastry ! ? ! Cheers.

Treat off my dad tonight, he's a friend on the fresh fish stall up town... Scallops and lemon sole fillets...

Family get together at ours, so a bit of a spread.. 13 hour cooked brisket, slow cooked pork shoulder.. Home made coleslaw, stuffing, roasties... and a 2 day hangover! Lol

Posted Images

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

Same here !

I fancied classic pork sandwich, the kind you used to be able to buy at the pork butchers, (remember them ?).

Roasted a 2.5 kilo loin of pork, rubbed the rind with olive oil and sea salt.

Dipped the stottie cake, ( that's a BIG bread bun to you southerners ?), in the meat juices.

Sage & Onion stuffing, pease pudding and the creme' de la creme', Colmans English Mustard ! 

Must be served hot, of course !

A sandwich fit for kings !

I was looking forward to it so much, taking pics didn't enter my mind !

Cheers.

no pic.....didnt happen..lol

• Haha 3
32 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

We used to stand around waiting for mum to take the beef joint out the oven, crust in hand !

Cheers.

I’m like that if we have that or chicken on a Sunday,or pork crackling she goes mad and says I’m worse than the kids,I’ve just been diagnosed with diabetes but f**k that I can’t let that go in the bin.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, lurchers said:

I’m like that if we have that or chicken on a Sunday,or pork crackling she goes mad and says I’m worse than the kids,I’ve just been diagnosed with diabetes but f**k that I can’t let that go in the bin.

I remember many years ago, my brother and I used to go to Wallsend Rising Sun Whippets on a Sunday morning, then afterwards go to the Rocket bar in Longbenton. We had to pass our mums house on the way and would call in, she wouldn't let us leave until we had bread dipped in the Sunday joint juices, as "it would put a lining on our stomachs" for the drink ! ? ! Bless her !

Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I remember many years ago, my brother and I used to go to Wallsend Rising Sun Whippets on a Sunday morning, then afterwards go to the Rocket bar in Longbenton. We had to pass our mums house on the way and would call in, she wouldn't let us leave until we had bread dipped in the Sunday joint juices, as "it would put a lining on our stomachs" for the drink ! ? ! Bless her !

Cheers.

Some of them haven’t lived mate mate,ya making my mouth water now just thinking of it.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Salmon and Brie Wellington, carrots, string beans, kale with spring onions and garlic, Batchelors tinned new pots.

Cheers, D.

original_55bc7525-e39a-4956-8572-cf6974f0d81a_IMG_20210218_193234.jpg

Not had tinned potatoes for years. I'll pick a tin up tomorrow. I know they are wank but sort of nostalgic wank ??

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, DIDO.1 said:

Not had tinned potatoes for years. I'll pick a tin up tomorrow. I know they are wank but sort of nostalgic wank ??

Tinned tattles, one minute in the deep fat fryer, excellent !

About 25p a tin at Aldi.

Not gourmet, but a bit of Maggi seasoning and almost as nice as home made chips !

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Beef dripping or pork lard on bread, with salt and pepper !

A staple food of my youth.

We were ok though, cholesterol hadn't been invented back then ?

Cheers.

I remember that - beef dripping on bread with a little salt in the 80s round nans on a Monday :yes:

....... We used to dig out the brown bits but, we had to make sure that Grandad had enough left for his work sarnie.

You know what, I'm going to sound like a right old git but, folk nowadays haven't got a clue - I reckon so much is being lost.

My local butcher does sell beef dripping but he has to filter out the brown bits before it goes in the tubs, otherwise people won't buy it.

He also has to trim the skin off pork - I get a bit for free whenever I shop in there. He bins loads of it because his customers have either never heard of or never tried crackling :doh:

• Sad 1