What's cooking?

23 minutes ago, kanny said:

I use a meater thermometer, so far I'm impressed .

The thermapens are supposed to be very good if you just want a probe type  ?

Going to invest in one, just bought a nice lump of topside of beef for a special occasion and want to do it justice....cook in an aga so it’s always a bit out with the timings ?

• Like 1

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit Pie ! And, for the purists, made with shortcrust pastry, NOT puff pastry ! ? ! Cheers.

Treat off my dad tonight, he's a friend on the fresh fish stall up town... Scallops and lemon sole fillets...

Family get together at ours, so a bit of a spread.. 13 hour cooked brisket, slow cooked pork shoulder.. Home made coleslaw, stuffing, roasties... and a 2 day hangover! Lol

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I've never had greylag but i've been told it's not the best. Can you compare the flavour to anything?

I would normally slow cook or curry it and bash it with flavours of some sort but after watch few folks on youtube thought I would give it the steak treatment. It was tender and juicy and did remind me of steak though I am no steak expert. Like they say if you overcook it then it would be terrible. Not sure if greylag is better than canada or theres not much difference will soon find out when i bag one soon. I did brine in salt water for 24 hours so maybe that took away a lot of gameness.

Good vid here

• Like 3
1 minute ago, green lurchers said:

You deffo sweet toothed chart ?

Strangely enough, I haven't !

Never used sugar, don't eat biscuits etc, still got all my teeth, bar one that got knocked out !

But since we retired, my missus has took to home cooking and baking, and I just can't resist a slice of cheesecake ??

Cheers.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Strangely enough, I haven't !

Never used sugar, don't eat biscuits etc, still got all my teeth, bar one that got knocked out !

But since we retired, my missus has took to home cooking and baking, and I just can't resist a slice of cheesecake ??

Cheers.

Anything home made is a mile away from shop bought ?I’m not no good  on cooking cakes sweet things but gladly eat home made desserts 

15 hours ago, kanny said:

I use a meater thermometer, so far I'm impressed .

The thermapens are supposed to be very good if you just want a probe type  ?

I love my meater mate...amazing bit of kit

• Like 1

I was going to get one, but my mate has a ceramic smoker and got to crack the lid for the Bluetooth, so I gave it a miss I might get one with wires to have external...I seem to do okay without but have over done a couple of chunks

3 hours ago, green lurchers said:

Anything home made is a mile away from shop bought ?I’m not no good  on cooking cakes sweet things but gladly eat home made desserts 

I agree.

Ive got two big Allotments, a small holding really, and grow a lot of veg, don't know about organic, but I don't use any chemicals, I make my own compost and use well rotted horse manure.

Ive a few hens and ducks, more than enough to keep us in fresh eggs. They are not free range but have large pens and are fed on mixed corn and veg.

Theres loads of wild plums, apples, berries round here, which I eat or use to make wine.

I usually have a freezer full of game, and I get fresh trout, cod, mackerel, etc from my brother.

I still have to get some things from the shops, but by and large, we eat fairly healthy.

Cheers.

• Like 4