What's cooking?

18 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

This may be very pedestrian for you folk on here but what's your thoughts on what should or should not be in a Bolognese? The 1st "exotic" food that I was introduced to. My dad would just about put up with it but mam had to make a different batch for him without garlic.

The modern self loathing thing that some Brits have dictate that what we consider to be Italian or Indian etc is nothing of the sort and we should be ashamed. I don't care. Nice food is nice food whether it is historically correct or not. Got one on the go now and it consists of:

minced beef - white onion - fresh garlic gloves - dried mixed herbs - red (bell) pepper - large generic chilli - Bird Eye chillies - button mushrooms - tin of chopped tomatoes - fresh tomatoes - splash of Worcestershire sauce and sometimes half an Oxo cube. Simmer for at least two hours until everything has broken down and severed with spaghetti, common out of a packet type not freshly made. No carrots or celery. Used to put those in but now prefer without.

Never been a favourite of mine not a lover of any kind of Pasta. 

My lad would get on to me saying you should eat more Pasta my answer was it taste of f**k all and is slimy. His answer was you have to put a sauce on it to make it nice. my reply was just eat the f***ing sauce Lol.

So mate I cant give ant advice on Bolognese.

Cheers Arry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit Pie ! And, for the purists, made with shortcrust pastry, NOT puff pastry ! ? ! Cheers.

Treat off my dad tonight, he's a friend on the fresh fish stall up town... Scallops and lemon sole fillets...

Family get together at ours, so a bit of a spread.. 13 hour cooked brisket, slow cooked pork shoulder.. Home made coleslaw, stuffing, roasties... and a 2 day hangover! Lol

Posted Images

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

This may be very pedestrian for you folk on here but what's your thoughts on what should or should not be in a Bolognese? The 1st "exotic" food that I was introduced to. My dad would just about put up with it but mam had to make a different batch for him without garlic.

The modern self loathing thing that some Brits have dictate that what we consider to be Italian or Indian etc is nothing of the sort and we should be ashamed. I don't care. Nice food is nice food whether it is historically correct or not. Got one on the go now and it consists of:

minced beef - white onion - fresh garlic gloves - dried mixed herbs - red (bell) pepper - large generic chilli - Bird Eye chillies - button mushrooms - tin of chopped tomatoes - fresh tomatoes - splash of Worcestershire sauce and sometimes half an Oxo cube. Simmer for at least two hours until everything has broken down and severed with spaghetti, common out of a packet type not freshly made. No carrots or celery. Used to put those in but now prefer without.

This is how we like it in this house.......

Good beef mince, not that low fat stuff.

Plum tomatoes.

Tomato paste.

Chillies.

Garlic.

Red onion.

1 Oxo cube.

Salt.

Pepper.

Oregano.

Thyme.

Parsley.

Sage.

A big slosh of red wine.

A good couple of hours cooking and stiring to reduce it down.

Maybe a little sugar or more salt depending on how it tastes after it's been simmering for a while.

Dried herbs are ok but, I prefer rough cut fresh ones.

• Like 2

Ha.. all my lot are having pasta tonight... not me, couple of pork chops, mash, cabbage out of the garden, mushrooms and onions with thick gravy... I do like pasta, have a mate we visit in Italy and his mums cooking is amazing.. but not a big fan of bolognese etc... was glad to have this plonked in front of me tonight though and not the pasta...lol

Screenshot_20220911-192714_Gallery.jpg.9db38522cf74094050451986811c55e9.jpg

• Like 6
2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

Top quality Parmesan cheese woukd lift it up ? it’s something I’d not  go for meself tbh think the wife’s version was like gruel but have tried home made pasta dishes  couple times very nice ? 

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Arry said:

Gifted a nice Bass so dug some new potato's picked some runners and cook some mushrooms I foraged today in garlic olive oil.

Cook the Bass fillets in foil packets in the oven.

IMG_6962.JPG.e74aad04d3e874af736323b016527ec0.JPG

Cheers Arry

I caught me Saturday sea bass for tea 

E95EB449-EB8D-4874-B82D-2A3414340D97.jpeg

EA9962D5-A859-4CE5-A3D0-1BA5575D8DCE.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 7