Hi,

I’ve been directed this way as Its proving more difficult than first thought, trying to find a Bedlington x Greyhound. (F1, Bitch) I would like to add one to my kennel for working purposes and to add to the blood of my future lines. 

if you know of any line ups or could point me in the right direction this would be much appreciated. 

cheers 

Ben

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1/4 JRT X 3/4 whippet; Cheers.

I don't post on here or come on here now I can do with out the aggro and argument just I googled Bedlington greyhounds to look something up but if you had no luck finding an F1 cross I have breed thes

Posted Images

Why as it got to be a f1 Ben f1s are more of a gamble that the parents were any good for the job producing dogs that will work the beddy it’s self is in a shit state an the greyhound used would be a failure greyhound 

Surprised anyone keeps bedlington lurchers with the availability of decent wheaten lurchers now as I think for producing running dogs a wheaten has all the attributes people want a bedlington to have but they generally don’t I have a little bedlington fell x bitch decent bolting bitch but not the type of terrier I’d want in my lurcher personal preference I suppose atb 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Surprised anyone keeps bedlington lurchers with the availability of decent wheaten lurchers now as I think for producing running dogs a wheaten has all the attributes people want a bedlington to have but they generally don’t I have a little bedlington fell x bitch decent bolting bitch but not the type of terrier I’d want in my lurcher personal preference I suppose atb 

Depends what your doing 

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Proper working Wheatons availability is the same as beddy availability there’s not many you see most of these Wheaton xs about are lurcher to lurcher breds that look like they got a load of bull blood added but branded as a Wheaton xs most working Wheatons have a drop of bull blood added to prep em up it’s the same with decent working beddys they have a outcross to prep them up I still think most of the outcross terriers produce better working terriers than the standard straight breed terriers.I sort of get what your saying though I’m a beddy lurcher fan my self I don’t think modern f1 beddy crosses are what there made out to be and not what they once were there not the finish article what people make them out to be I personally see the f1 beddy greyhound as a base rather than the straight beddy least that way you know the beddy Lurcher can do the job that your putting in to other type Lurchers 

2 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Depends what your doing I suppose them beddy bull greys coco off here had looked nice types  

I’ve always had a strange opinion on beddy greyhounds even though there small types they gotta be masters of none used for a bit of everything type of hunting dog there’s not much point in them if there only to be stood over a Warren may as well just have a whippet it’d me more a effectively warreners dog 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, poxon said:

Why as it got to be a f1 Ben f1s are more of a gamble that the parents were any good for the job producing dogs that will work the beddy it’s self is in a shit state an the greyhound used would be a failure greyhound 

To be honest I was looking for an F1 for reason opposite to what you’re stating. The first generation are usually used as a cross because the dogs were in a proven state. And you usually end up with a good even amount of both genes. That goes for build, shape and coat (usually rough coated) 

Yeah, I even spoke to a friend that works Bedlingtons, terrierman for a local hunt. And he is lining his proven  dog with a greyhound soon but they are still on the lookout for a coursing greyhound. My only issue with his working bedlingtons, like many nowa days, they are not of pure blood. Many  now have Lakey added. This worries me as the dog  (beddy x whippet) I would like to use over the beddy greyhound bitch (if I can find one) for future lines, I would would end up with a bunch of keys in the litter and probably too much wastage. 

15 minutes ago, poxon said:

I’ve always had a strange opinion on beddy greyhounds even though there small types they gotta be masters of none used for a bit of everything type of hunting dog there’s not much point in them if there only to be stood over a Warren may as well just have a whippet it’d me more a effectively warreners dog 

Just to add to this, this exactly the reason I’m looking for one. I’ve got 2 Beddy x whippets who work rabbits. 

the land I work is fairly large, I have family in the agricultural business with a few thousand acres, not to mention the permissions that have been passed down in the local area to me. I’ve come into the lurcher game fairly late as I’ve always been a fan of dispatching quarry with smoke sticks. 

ive been ferreting now for a few years with the dogs and now I’m venturing with a few mates lamping on my ground. The lamping is exposing a huge variation of quarry, and I’m fed up of calling others in to help as I don’t have the right dog. I need something to start of, a good base dog (F1 Beddy x Greyhound) To use and improve for future lines with my own. Trying to give myself a good all rounder from the dogs I have and the breed I know. 

3 hours ago, poxon said:

How many f1s have you worked ?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Busher100 said:

I’ve never seen a wheaten let alone a working one are there many working to ground ?

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

How many f1s have you worked ?

A couple but none in more recent times but always been around beddy xs that’s all we used to run with the odd other cross now and again my last f1 was a beddy whippet it was pretty useless tbh only really made a half decent ferreter /mooching dog??Why’s that mate? 

Just now, poxon said:

A couple but none in more recent times but always been around beddy xs that’s all we used to run with the odd other cross now and again my last f1 was a beddy whippet it was pretty useless tbh only really made a half decent ferreter /mooching dog??Why’s that mate? 

Also still keep beddy xs now but lurcher to lurcher mongrely things but pro dominantly beddy greyhound In there make up