Rural versus urban wildlife

7 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Ivomech on the neck deals with em easy enough I'm told 

I heard voltarol but then someone else said it didn't work. 

Never really bothered me locally either since their nest site was demolished and they moved a bit further into town. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Despite there bright colours I think they are invisible to many people, I used to have a fishing lake back in the 90s in Somerset, and sat there one day chatting to a fisherman, out of the corner of m

Let’s have something non political or racist for a change, it’s almost a month since leaving my urban environment and the difference in wildlife is very dramatic, I,m seeing much less large mammals bu

I get out at night a fair bit ,love it ,walk miles .At the moment the owls are rampant calling .Frosty full moons are the time to hear them .Little owls sounding like a chicken ,barn owls screeching .

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

Looks like the Sea Eagle reintroduction at Norfolk could actually happen. Farmers and landowners blocked the last attempt 10 years back.

WWW.BIRDGUIDES.COM

A consultation to release numbers of the raptor in East Anglia has been launched by farmers.

I've been been keeping half an eye on the wanderings on the Sea Eagles released on the Isle of White back in 2019.

Apparently, as juveniles, they do move away from the release site for a period of time, stretching their wings as it were, but normally do return to back to where they came from to settle down.

Loads of tracking information here from the Isle of White birds... i followed the updates as they were released over the last year or so.

Some very detailed GPS information and it's surprising how much of England those 4 birds  covered.

One had a trip straight over the centre of London!!

Scroll down for the GPS tracking....?

I saw something about these on the tv about a week ago. I think it was on South Today. Didn't one of them go up to Scotland and then return?

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I saw something about these on the tv about a week ago. I think it was on South Today. Didn't one of them go up to Scotland and then return?

Think they have been released on the isle of white possibly why you saw it on south today, Scotland has had them for some time I believe ??

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Think they have been released on the isle of white possibly why you saw it on south today, Scotland has had them for some time I believe ??

Yeah, I've heard of them being in Scotland (i.e. their own ones) but I'm sure this report said that one of the Isle of Wight ones had been tracked there and back too.

I knew a chap once who, while on holiday in Scotland, was offered a job (with a cottage I think too) "overseeing" the local wildlife, which included keeping an eye on the local white tails. He turned the job down! :wallbash:

• Like 1

Saw my first deer on my morning walk this morning, been on the boat almost a month now, walking between 2/5K twice a day, on the outskirts of Bristol I very rarely take the dogs out without one or two deer encounters per walk, the urban ones also seem a lot more stupid or are just used to seeing people, todays deer never broke cover until the last second after being worked almost 200yards along a hedge were as locally I have to put a huge bell on my dog and fire a couple of stones into cover as I’m approaching it or I will catch one most outings ??

I get out at night a fair bit ,love it ,walk miles .At the moment the owls are rampant calling .Frosty full moons are the time to hear them .Little owls sounding like a chicken ,barn owls screeching .The tawny has the loudest furthest carrying call with the short eared a very non owl like mewing .

Curlews fly at night with the haunting noise only they make .

Magpies chatter at night in mass roosts .We have one here ,a winter roost on a nature reserve in a huge tangle of thorns .To sit by it you’d think you’d been rumbled but they ain’t going nowhere .
Not seen the starling roosts I used to as a kid where the air was black for two hours as they wheeled about then dived in  ,their wittering stopping all of a sudden as if a switch were flicked .

Heard an otter pair on the Avon near us while back whistling ,never saw them in the thermal but knew what is was .

The white egrets breed here now in a heronry that’s been there decades in tall lime trees .Used to be a talking point but not any more .

Cormorants and ravens are the new avian pests ,ravens everywhere here now as common as carrion crows and ten times as deadly .

Sheep farmers justifiably worried about the numbers .

As for urban settings you can keep them ,give me fields and woods anytime .

• Like 4
9 hours ago, foxdropper said:

I get out at night a fair bit ,love it ,walk miles .At the moment the owls are rampant calling .Frosty full moons are the time to hear them .Little owls sounding like a chicken ,barn owls screeching .The tawny has the loudest furthest carrying call with the short eared a very non owl like mewing .

Curlews fly at night with the haunting noise only they make .

Magpies chatter at night in mass roosts .We have one here ,a winter roost on a nature reserve in a huge tangle of thorns .To sit by it you’d think you’d been rumbled but they ain’t going nowhere .
Not seen the starling roosts I used to as a kid where the air was black for two hours as they wheeled about then dived in  ,their wittering stopping all of a sudden as if a switch were flicked .

Heard an otter pair on the Avon near us while back whistling ,never saw them in the thermal but knew what is was .

The white egrets breed here now in a heronry that’s been there decades in tall lime trees .Used to be a talking point but not any more .

Cormorants and ravens are the new avian pests ,ravens everywhere here now as common as carrion crows and ten times as deadly .

Sheep farmers justifiably worried about the numbers .

As for urban settings you can keep them ,give me fields and woods anytime .

Like that mate,trouble is a lot of The urban ground near me used to be rural, old farms are now being eaten up by warehouses and all the swamps and flood plains along the estuary have been drained and built on, sadly moving out to Gloucestershire I can see the seeds of development spreading there as well, though years behind it’s happening, this photo was around 40 years ago and this is now astra Zeneca, used to be a derelict farm you could always pop a fox out of ?

05DB7ABD-EA35-4D68-9F46-9EF22629B02C.jpeg

2 hours ago, Greyman said:

Like that mate,trouble is a lot of The urban ground near me used to be rural, old farms are now being eaten up by warehouses and all the swamps and flood plains along the estuary have been drained and built on, sadly moving out to Gloucestershire I can see the seeds of development spreading there as well, though years behind it’s happening, this photo was around 40 years ago and this is now astra Zeneca, used to be a derelict farm you could always pop a fox out of ?

05DB7ABD-EA35-4D68-9F46-9EF22629B02C.jpeg

It's the same around here: just north of Portsmouth. It's almost solid houses all the way from Southsea to Clanfield. I can see a time when Portsmouth and Southampton will be one continuous conurbation. Actually, I'm sure I remember my geography teacher predicting that back in the early 80s in Bridgemary...he said they call it a megalopolis I think. I can remember my Mum, who was born in Gosport town saying that going to Rowner was like going to the next village when she was a girl. Sad. What price progress?

14 minutes ago, Neal said:

It's the same around here: just north of Portsmouth. It's almost solid houses all the way from Southsea to Clanfield. I can see a time when Portsmouth and Southampton will be one continuous conurbation. Actually, I'm sure I remember my geography teacher predicting that back in the early 80s in Bridgemary...he said they call it a megalopolis I think. I can remember my Mum, who was born in Gosport town saying that going to Rowner was like going to the next village when she was a girl. Sad. What price progress?

Half of the villages from my youth are now suburbs mate, that’s why I bought a mobile house no point trying to stop it the ££££ always wins so I,ll just keep on moving away from it while I can ✌️✌️

• Like 2