Rural versus urban wildlife

5 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Personally feel they're running out of room in the countryside ; every quarry down here has atleast a pair and so do most cliff faces on the coast

Fair. Not exactly over run with cliffs here either. :laugh:

Only peregrines to be seen here are kicking around high buildings.

• Like 1

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Despite there bright colours I think they are invisible to many people, I used to have a fishing lake back in the 90s in Somerset, and sat there one day chatting to a fisherman, out of the corner of m

Let’s have something non political or racist for a change, it’s almost a month since leaving my urban environment and the difference in wildlife is very dramatic, I,m seeing much less large mammals bu

I get out at night a fair bit ,love it ,walk miles .At the moment the owls are rampant calling .Frosty full moons are the time to hear them .Little owls sounding like a chicken ,barn owls screeching .

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Not sure about many on buildings in Plymouth but I can pinpoint 10 pairs in a 15 mile line from Plymouth up the a38

If you ever venture north up the motorway, if you go over the Somerset ,Avon border via the m5 bridge look at the docks on your left there are nearly ten pair in there alone nesting on the roofs of the grain stores and dining on the pigeons they attract, and if your ever in the city taking in the culture go onto castle green in the centre and look across at the old courages building the perigrines nest in the snow box,s on the guttering and are very obliging if you want to take a few pics there will be chicks on show as well soon ??

20 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Not sure about many on buildings in Plymouth but I can pinpoint 10 pairs in a 15 mile line from Plymouth up the a38

There you go mate, now wrap up warm grab the dog and kids and get out your cupboard ?????https://www.visitplymouth.co.uk/dbimgs/city_centre_wildlife_trail_leaflet(1).pdf

ABB5E1AB-6698-42B4-9E18-E8E9A36AA193.png

10 minutes ago, Greyman said:

There you go mate, now wrap up warm grab the dog and kids and get out your cupboard ?????https://www.visitplymouth.co.uk/dbimgs/city_centre_wildlife_trail_leaflet(1).pdf

ABB5E1AB-6698-42B4-9E18-E8E9A36AA193.png

Not for me mate, rather go plymbridge but rather not see one at all. Spent half my youth looking for them, owning pigeons in the family I've seen 1 or 2 in my time 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, South hams hunter said:

Not for me mate, rather go plymbridge but rather not see one at all. Spent half my youth looking for them, owning pigeons in the family I've seen 1 or 2 in my time 

The pigeon fanciers in Bristol gave up that fight 20 years ago mate and the falcons won, I know of one person now that keeps pigeons were as it was around half the people I New Years ago, they were ragging nests shooting them and even fitting little firework explosives to the pigeons, but nature always wins,  a week seldom goes by these days I don’t see a peregrine but I,m always looking for the dot in the sky circling round and round ?

3 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The pigeon fanciers in Bristol gave up that fight 20 years ago mate and the falcons won, I know of one person now that keeps pigeons were as it was around half the people I New Years ago, they were ragging nests shooting them and even fitting little firework explosives to the pigeons, but nature always wins,  a week seldom goes by these days I don’t see a peregrine but I,m always looking for the dot in the sky circling round and round ?

Ivomech on the neck deals with em easy enough I'm told 

32 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Ivomech on the neck deals with em easy enough I'm told 

But the falcon numbers are still rising while pigeon keepers are still diminishing, I know an Iranian that keeps pigeons he’s the only one I know and I think it’s because it’s some kind of link to home, they are like tumblers and all of them are marked up by the peregrines, like I said it’s a lost battle like many rural past times mate the best years are in the past ?

5 minutes ago, Greyman said:

But the falcon numbers are still rising while pigeon keepers are still diminishing, I know an Iranian that keeps pigeons he’s the only one I know and I think it’s because it’s some kind of link to home, they are like tumblers and all of them are marked up by the peregrines, like I said it’s a lost battle like many rural past times mate the best years are in the past ?

Oh I know mate, Plymouth used to have a fed made of 15 or so clubs with 20/30 members each but now has a single club really of 20/30 members 

• Like 1

Looks like the Sea Eagle reintroduction at Norfolk could actually happen. Farmers and landowners blocked the last attempt 10 years back.

WWW.BIRDGUIDES.COM

A consultation to release numbers of the raptor in East Anglia has been launched by farmers.

I've been been keeping half an eye on the wanderings on the Sea Eagles released on the Isle of White back in 2019.

Apparently, as juveniles, they do move away from the release site for a period of time, stretching their wings as it were, but normally do return to back to where they came from to settle down.

Loads of tracking information here from the Isle of White birds... i followed the updates as they were released over the last year or so.

Some very detailed GPS information and it's surprising how much of England those 4 birds  covered.

One had a trip straight over the centre of London!!

Scroll down for the GPS tracking....?

• Like 2