Harness or Collar

The only good reason for a harness is on a high drive young pup to avoid it's neck getting desensitised if you can't avoid taking it out in public before it starts to learn control. The collar is then saved for actual training sessions.

Having said that I've never used one myself. They remind me too much of those sad, untrained rescue dogs that can't be let off leash. 

• Like 2

An old gent near me, who used to train horses back in his youth, summed it up for me. He said he could never understand why people who had dogs which pulled would put them in a harness as a harness is designed to make pulling easier...think shire horse, oxen, sled dog etc.

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Neal said:

An old gent near me, who used to train horses back in his youth, summed it up for me. He said he could never understand why people who had dogs which pulled would put them in a harness as a harness is designed to make pulling easier...think shire horse, oxen, sled dog etc.

Spot on, lot of people who kept, staffs, apbts,  liked to parade round with them on there dogs lol. We had bull breeds in the 60s, and them feckers would pull your arm, just with collar/lead, never mind a harness, all they do as said above incourage a dog to pull, because they pull from the shoulders, and not the neck which some dogs are not keen on, but our staffs and pit would still bloody pull anyway lol. Funny thing I did think few times putting one on Buck when he was younger when lamping, as that twat take me off me feet if seen  his quarry, he was very hard to hold back, trigger would say them same, yet when not lamping never needed a lead he walk by the side of you in the as long as didn't see a cat lol, no harness would have been worse with him lol. 

19 minutes ago, Neal said:

You need a harness wi 2 leads on it then a muzzle halter so.if it keeps pulling u can twist its head round and don't forget the retractable lead used like a fishing rod yank the dog towards u whilst gaining line instead of just walking towards the dog 

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, Neal said:

as i said earlier .the wife bought a harness for the pup .and thismorning i put the collar on him ,to be honest he was as good as gold no pulling atall  , so i think the harness has done its bit now and collar will be the go to , if the wife hant have bought one for him it would have been collar and lead from day one :thumbs:

I remember reading a couple of years back that the reason handbag dogs, which are dressed up in ridiculous outfits, seem to accept it is simply because the outfit becomes an extension of the owners hand. So you're basically subduing the dog with another form of pressure on its back (or body). When I get close to home I often drop the dog leads as I get my key out but, to stop them trailing on the ground, I usually loop them over their back. As soon as I do, they become more submissive and walk slower...I presume it's for the same reason...and maybe that's another reason why harness can have that effect.:hmm: