Australian cattle dog

19 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Watched that and thought exactly the same.

The name says it all hunt away,bred in NZ said to be part lab in the early development, giving the collie more heavier body & the huge bark .The lines of the Huntaway in the North Island of NZ make for a very big heavy dog huge bark but well known for lacking in the 3 top inches ,said to be all bark & no brains.A common type of collie of old times was the "handy dog" which would back and bark in the yards ,show good  eye and  catch a lamb or ewe at lambing time hents the name "handy dog".

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Litter brother to mine

Had her out on het own for the first time marking and hunting up caught this bolter with style no bad for just under 8 months   

Posted Images

Personally, I can see why a huntaway's style of working could be beneficial in some areas in the British Isles i.e. expansive hilly or mountainous areas. Here the bark would work to shift sheep which wouldn't know a dog was there if the dog concerned was a completely silent type which became stuck on small numbers and simply froze. However, as Sheepchaser points out, a good collie can do this too and more besides. I've heard of a few people who have one for gathering and then swap to their collie closer to home for this very reason.

With regards to barking: the best way to discourage a dog from barking is to teach it to bark in the first place...and then teach it to stop.

Edited by Neal
1 hour ago, Neal said:

Personally, I can see why a huntaway's style of working could be beneficial in some areas in the British Isles i.e. expansive hilly or mountainous areas. Here the bark would work to shift sheep which wouldn't know a dog was there if the dog concerned was a completely silent type which became stuck on small numbers and simply froze. However, as Sheepchaser points out, a good collie can do this too and more besides. I've heard of a few people who have one for gathering and then swap to their collie closer to home for this very reason.

With regards to barking: the best way to discourage a dog from barking is to teach it to bark in the first place...and then teach it to stop.

We use one for bullying big mobs of store lambs and she fair shifts them. But a bit of a one trick pony really. 

• Like 1
On 31/01/2021 at 08:22, Neal said:

I taught my male border collie to bark on command also guard on command. I don’t know how I did it looking back, I think the fact his IQ was higher than mine probably helped. He was one of those collies who just seemed to know what was needed from a young age...there not all like that I was just lucky.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 2