Australian cattle dog

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Litter brother to mine

Had her out on het own for the first time marking and hunting up caught this bolter with style no bad for just under 8 months   

Posted Images

11 hours ago, socks said:

It’s from working stock ... the sire came off a cattle farm in Australia and the dam was bred here from a dog that came from a working farm in Australia ... he paid £2000 for it. 

All being well that should be money well spent. Pup looks a character.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dillydog said:

I was looking to use him over a good game whippet type of bitch last year but it never happened, I've had the opportunity to use him over a greyhound too but I didn't bother, I want another gear without losing the gameness or robustness. I'll probably never get what I'm looking for but for now he's as close as I'll get.

Be a fair chance of working to northenlights little bitch . Shes tough but razor sharp

One of the things that always put me off heelers was the fact that almost all the ones in the UK were imported because they were pure A.C.D.s and could be registered with the kennel club and shown rather than because of their working ability.

However, over the last ten years I've seen more and more working ones advertised, both pups for sale and working males at stud. I've also seen a few litters of sheep/cattle dogs with kelpie and or collie with a dash of heeler too.

The ones I've seen recently look much more lithe and agile than the early ones. I think the only working early imports were John Holmes' ones. All the others looked like furry barrels with legs.

5 hours ago, dillydog said:

I was looking to use him over a good game whippet type of bitch last year but it never happened, I've had the opportunity to use him over a greyhound too but I didn't bother, I want another gear without losing the gameness or robustness. I'll probably never get what I'm looking for but for now he's as close as I'll get.

Shame your not over here, he would make good pups over my blue 3/4 whippet 1/4 stag in the avatar,I've never seen her show fear for any game or dog and is smart as, I haven't bred her due to lack of good lurchers over here.

shady.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Shame your not over here, he would make good pups over my blue 3/4 whippet 1/4 stag in the avatar,I've never seen her show fear for any game or dog and is smart as, I haven't bred her due to lack of good lurchers over here.

shady.JPG

That is a shame, there's no big fields around me, I'd be better off with something that could go through the gears quickly but I'd still want something with balls.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dillydog said:

That is a shame, there's no big fields around me, I'd be better off with something that could go through the gears quickly but I'd still want something with balls.

Ever thought of putting him over a 3/4whippet 1/4bull DD??atb cbx 

35 minutes ago, chrisbullx said:

Ever thought of putting him over a 3/4whippet 1/4bull DD??atb cbx 

I don't frequent the lurcher scene Chris, I hardly get to see the run of the mill, I wouldn't get the chance. 

I want him over something like a whippet greyhound but you just don't see them anymore,  when I started out they were 10 a penny 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, dillydog said:

I don't frequent the lurcher scene Chris, I hardly get to see the run of the mill, I wouldn't get the chance. 

I want him over something like a whippet greyhound but you just don't see them anymore,  when I started out they were 10 a penny 

That be a good x as well mate & I have always liked the look of your dog mate if u breed him again down line let me know mate I could of had 1 off the litter Derek bred off him but stupidly turned 1 down ??‍♂️ As I bought 1 going but b*****d Sheeped ??‍♂️ Lesson learned anyway atb cbx 

• Like 1

I'm going to be a bit different ,personally I  don't really like them ,had two pures  ,and several ist cross AH worked on  pigs ,i found them pretty sly ,got into it on a sow or smaller pigs but never put them selves in danger on a bigger boar , however if you like them and break them in well for smaller game I'm, sure they can get the job done & well .For my self Id rather have a ist cross whippet or greyhound x kelpie, faster ,smarter, and lighter on their feet. Just what I refer nothing more .  

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, toolebox said:

I'm going to be a bit different ,personally I  don't really like them ,had two pures  ,and several ist cross AH worked on  pigs ,i found them pretty sly ,got into it on a sow or smaller pigs but never put them selves in danger on a bigger boar , however if you like them and break them in well for smaller game I'm, sure they can get the job done & well .For my self Id rather have a ist cross whippet or greyhound x kelpie, faster ,smarter, and lighter on their feet. Just what I refer nothing more .  

I've heard that a lot of cattle farmers in Australia prefer kelpies now for working cattle as they tend to be "kinder" in their working style but backing it up if needed whereas a lot of heelers back it up before having any problems...but then you'd expect me to be just a tad one sided.?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Neal said:

I've heard that a lot of cattle farmers in Australia prefer kelpies now for working cattle as they tend to be "kinder" in their working style but backing it up if needed whereas a lot of heelers back it up before having any problems...but then you'd expect me to be just a tad one sided.?

I think a lot of cattle dogs now lack working ability compared to kelpies and are best suited to guarding tradesman's utes. I don't think there is a better breed for this job though.

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, toolebox said:

,i found them pretty sly ,got into it on a sow or smaller pigs but never put them selves in danger on a bigger boar , 

I think they carry too much self preservation from the dingo blood which makes them highly intelligent but not as willing to please as more domestic breeds.

• Like 1