Goldfinches

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spend about an hour a day watching the feeders, longer (with the plinker) if the terrier tells me she's seen a rat or a squirrel when she's sat on the arm of the settee watching through the patio door

plenty around here , but sadly seem to attract more than the fair share of idiots  thats why im happy to fish rivers that most people ignore  As for wildlife on pit sites it teeming , water

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Not forgetting the rivers and canals now full of fish.

but sadly a lot less day ticket water ,its all syndicates and private clubs now which is a bit of a pisser  but I guess that's a whole different thread. 

12 hours ago, kanny said:

but sadly a lot less day ticket water ,its all syndicates and private clubs now which is a bit of a pisser  but I guess that's a whole different thread. 

plenty around here , but sadly seem to attract more than the fair share of idiots 

thats why im happy to fish rivers that most people ignore 

As for wildlife on pit sites it teeming , water voles , deer, birdlife ect .

even had a siberian chiff chaff the other week but couldnt get close enough for a decent pic 

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, steve66 said:

plenty around here , but sadly seem to attract more than the fair share of idiots 

thats why im happy to fish rivers that most people ignore 

As for wildlife on pit sites it teeming , water voles , deer, birdlife ect .

even had a siberian chiff chaff the other week but couldnt get close enough for a decent pic 

Someone on Mrs Facebook put a pic up of a Great Grey Shrike they'd spotted local last week. 

Cheers, D.

18 hours ago, downsouth said:

Most days I can see a dozen or so goldies on the feeders in my front garden as well as greenies,linnets and chaffies.Got four feeders that are permanently full of sunflower hearts and niger as well as a couple more with mixed seed and fat balls.Something I hardly see these days is bullies which used to be common around me untill the grubbed out a lot of the orchards and replaced them with poly tunnels full of strawberries and raspberries.

LINNETS...picture please..

1 hour ago, dytkos said:

Someone on Mrs Facebook put a pic up of a Great Grey Shrike they'd spotted local last week. 

Cheers, D.

Never seen one , but a lad on FB whos a keen birdwatcher puts up pics of around our area of loads of birds ive never seen , shows its there if you know where to look ?

• Like 1

GGS? I'll never forget when I twitched one of them. It came up on the pager as being in the next county. Jumped on my push bike and boarded a train.

When I got there, it was a huge area. No crowds of people with scopes trained. So, I just started searching for it.

Ran into a young couple, with a boy. Bit hippyish. Nice enough people though. Said they were there for the bird. But, they'd not been able to find it. So sad. Those poor people had come out, full of hope. Now, they were going home disappointed. I genuinely felt for them.

They wandered off and I cast my steely gaze around. And there it was! Probably not much more than thirty foot away. Sitting atop a shrub. Plain as day! FFS!

I turned and looked, desperately, at the three little pin pricks, receding toward the horizon. Fukk!!! Nothing I could have done :(

3 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

GGS? I'll never forget when I twitched one of them. It came up on the pager as being in the next county. Jumped on my push bike and boarded a train.

When I got there, it was a huge area. No crowds of people with scopes trained. So, I just started searching for it.

Ran into a young couple, with a boy. Bit hippyish. Nice enough people though. Said they were there for the bird. But, they'd not been able to find it. So sad. Those poor people had come out, full of hope. Now, they were going home disappointed. I genuinely felt for them.

They wandered off and I cast my steely gaze around. And there it was! Probably not much more than thirty foot away. Sitting atop a shrub. Plain as day! FFS!

I turned and looked, desperately, at the three little pin pricks, receding toward the horizon. Fukk!!! Nothing I could have done :(

That would be me , shuffling of to the horizon , you defiantly need an eye and knowledge for the game 

Met some very clued up people in the twitching game  

Many years ago when the Mrs worked on the Isles of Scilly there was a rare bird, a Grey Cheeked Thrush (if she remembers correctly) that had blown in, all the twitchers hotfooted it from the mainland to spot it and they saw it being eaten by a local cat.

What a f***ing shame ?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, dytkos said:

Many years ago when the Mrs worked on the Isles of Scilly there was a rare bird, a Grey Cheeked Thrush (if she remembers correctly) that had blown in, all the twitchers hotfooted it from the mainland to spot it and they saw it being eaten by a local cat.

What a f***ing shame ?

Cheers, D.

Bit like the bustard that got took out by a buzzard few yrs back 

AE698000-E8CE-40E2-B95F-71CC7AFD5EAC.jpeg

Edited by green lurchers
  • Like 3