Goldfinches

20 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I don't give a shit lol 

The squirrels cause no bother really  they come for a feed and there gone and they have caused no damage,.

Rats on the other hand have wrecked numerous feeders and are not just content with a feed they take the lot , well not on my watch they don't  lol 

Note shot placement,  .22 is clearly the superior calibre ? 

Just saying like ? 

20200425_111003_compress64.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spend about an hour a day watching the feeders, longer (with the plinker) if the terrier tells me she's seen a rat or a squirrel when she's sat on the arm of the settee watching through the patio door

plenty around here , but sadly seem to attract more than the fair share of idiots  thats why im happy to fish rivers that most people ignore  As for wildlife on pit sites it teeming , water

Posted Images

1 minute ago, sid g said:

even when i had the terriers i had rts about the place a new women moved in over the back cat woman shes got about 6 dont seem to see signs of many rats these days 

My mog takes care of a few , tbh I haven't seen a rat for ages they seem to come in waves 

VID-20201018-WA0001_1_1.gif

• Like 2

Most days I can see a dozen or so goldies on the feeders in my front garden as well as greenies,linnets and chaffies.Got four feeders that are permanently full of sunflower hearts and niger as well as a couple more with mixed seed and fat balls.Something I hardly see these days is bullies which used to be common around me untill the grubbed out a lot of the orchards and replaced them with poly tunnels full of strawberries and raspberries.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Greb147 said:

Can't for the life remember where this place is. 

As a kid my mother and father took us to this little place where you could hand feed all the wild finches, it was either near Ladybower or Langsett. 

Anybody know where I'm talking about?

Years ago me and the Mrs went to a place called siskins cafe in the whinlatter forest which had loads of feeders and all the finches were about tame, would that be it?

Awesome little bird one that always reminds of one of my best mates who passed away some year's ago. They seem more common these day's than in the late 60s and 70s when i was growing up this imho is down to folk feeding the proper seed food they thrive on also the popularity of people planting conifer hedge's in some urban environments giving them good nesting sites .

• Like 2

I was reading a book about a bloke travelling all round the UK in the late 70's. Reading this paragraph I realised the man he met had to be my father who was a British rail kitchen inspector and he often said he drank in the press club's. The Liverpool club was under the adelphi Hotel, owned, I believe then, by British rail. 

The preceeding line reads "this evening in the press club I met a man whose job was inspecting... 

IMG_20210124_182049.jpg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

Years ago me and the Mrs went to a place called siskins cafe in the whinlatter forest which had loads of feeders and all the finches were about tame, would that be it?

No definitely not there. 

My dad seems to think it was at Ladybower. 

2 hours ago, downsouth said:

Most days I can see a dozen or so goldies on the feeders in my front garden as well as greenies,linnets and chaffies.Got four feeders that are permanently full of sunflower hearts and niger as well as a couple more with mixed seed and fat balls.Something I hardly see these days is bullies which used to be common around me untill the grubbed out a lot of the orchards and replaced them with poly tunnels full of strawberries and raspberries.

When my ole fella had his aviary he had feeders hanging on the mesh on the outside and there was always wild bullies visiting aswell as goldies and linnets. A lovely sight. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Love goldies, never had anything like that many on our feeders though.

Get loads of long tail tits, great tips, coal tits, blue tits etc.

Get a few nuthatch everyday and woodpeckers... don't see as many finches as I used to remember though, the odd green finch and chaffinch plus a few bull finch occasionally....

Like you, love watching the feeders 

Spend about an hour a day watching the feeders, longer (with the plinker) if the terrier tells me she's seen a rat or a squirrel when she's sat on the arm of the settee watching through the patio door.

Only get the odd greenfinch and goldfinch though.

Get a few marsh tits and willow tits but can't tell the difference until I see them both on then get the book out to remind me which is which. Lol 

Filling the feeders today I slipped on an icy bit and half a tub of live meal worms went up in the air, I've got the fattest robins in the county now.?

Cheers, D.

P6130019.JPG

P5190037.JPG

IMG_20191213_093116.jpg

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

When my ole fella had his aviary he had feeders hanging on the mesh on the outside and there was always wild bullies visiting aswell as goldies and linnets. A lovely sight. 

When it was all orchards around me in the 80s and 90s Bullies were very common.It wasnt unusual to see multi compartment bully traps dotted around the farms

• Like 1