Goldfinches

Love goldies, never had anything like that many on our feeders though.

Get loads of long tail tits, great tips, coal tits, blue tits etc.

Get a few nuthatch everyday and woodpeckers... don't see as many finches as I used to remember though, the odd green finch and chaffinch plus a few bull finch occasionally....

Like you, love watching the feeders 

• Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spend about an hour a day watching the feeders, longer (with the plinker) if the terrier tells me she's seen a rat or a squirrel when she's sat on the arm of the settee watching through the patio door

plenty around here , but sadly seem to attract more than the fair share of idiots  thats why im happy to fish rivers that most people ignore  As for wildlife on pit sites it teeming , water

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Love goldies, never had anything like that many on our feeders though.

Get loads of long tail tits, great tips, coal tits, blue tits etc.

Get a few nuthatch everyday and woodpeckers... don't see as many finches as I used to remember though, the odd green finch and chaffinch plus a few bull finch occasionally....

Like you, love watching the feeders 

You got a bit of land with large trees Kev ain't you.

The farmer put an owl box on a big oak tree 3yrs ago only a field away from the house.2 yrs nothing but last year they nested in it.great going up there for a walk last summer at evening time watching the young hopping about the oak tree..

6 minutes ago, sid g said:

this type mate got 3 with the hearts Apollo™ Seed Feeders (C-APOLLO) - RWBF Co.

?? I've mixed seed in that type at the moment, the tits can empty it in a couple of hours and the sparrows get whatever lands on the ground. 

I must get another for the sunflower hearts, any tips on getting bullfinches to the feeders. 

Edited by dogmandont
2 minutes ago, sid g said:

everything seems to come for the hearts mate tbh we`ve got feeders everywhere and more to go out every time mrs goes to b n m or home bargains she comes back with bird food or more feeders gonna look into buying bulk bags of food  ... 

I get chaffinch greenfinch and goldies but yet to get the bullies. 

4 minutes ago, sid g said:

everything seems to come for the hearts mate tbh we`ve got feeders everywhere and more to go out every time mrs goes to b n m or home bargains she comes back with bird food or more feeders gonna look into buying bulk bags of food  ... 

Im not long back from taking the mrs to homebargins to stock up,  tbf she does most the work when it comes to the feeders,  long tailed tits and sparrows seem to prefer the fat balls the other tits and the fecking squirrels like the peanuts and the finches go for the sunflower hearts and the dunnocks and chaffinches pick up whatever hits the floor is what i find in general. Then we have the bird tables that the house scraps go on and they attract the doves, jackdaws,blackbirds ect ect

15 minutes ago, king said:

You got a bit of land with large trees Kev ain't you.

The farmer put an owl box on a big oak tree 3yrs ago only a field away from the house.2 yrs nothing but last year they nested in it.great going up there for a walk last summer at evening time watching the young hopping about the oak tree..

Yes mate, 

Few owls about as well, hear one regular and had my daughter out getting a repeat call off it in the summer...just started hearing it again the last few weeks...

I'll put some boxes up, got a couple of big pines in the garden...had kestrels nesting in one of the barns a couple of years back...Nice watching them coming and going...

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, sid g said:

try a feeder with sunflower hearts mate best year we`ve had for birds since i`ve been using them 

Will do mate, cheers...

Just get mixed seeds, fat balls and those suet nugget things, they seem to attract the woodpeckers, I like seeing them.

Always remember my Mrs going up to a shop assistant in B&M and saying, excuse me have you got fatballs , poor bloke went bright red and melted on the spot , i was in the background p*ssing myself laughing ??

Did have goldies the other week on the suet blocks but found they seem to prefer them hanging in the shrubs rather than of the bird table , probably feel safer only had afew blue tits since 

Edited by steve66
  • Haha 3
20 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Yes mate, 

Few owls about as well, hear one regular and had my daughter out getting a repeat call off it in the summer...just started hearing it again the last few weeks...

I'll put some boxes up, got a couple of big pines in the garden...had kestrels nesting in one of the barns a couple of years back...Nice watching them coming and going...

Yea to right it's great seeing the owls.1 of the young was screaming at me last summer.its time to go then lol.

Only the odd kestrel around me.shame as they are an awesome little bird..

Greenfinches and Goldfinches eating me out of house and home mainly sunflower hearts. If the feeders are full of Greenfinches then the Goldies go on the niger seed. 

The Squirrels are in the compose bin.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Get them squirrels deaded

Mate the mrs loves em and if she's happy im happy lol

Only thing I kill in the  garden is rats everything else gets a free pass.