Early moult

Moses2259

This year as you probably know there is a lockdown on hunting your bird because of the bird flu, because of this we raised my birds weight by about 4 ounces and today I walked in to find out that she pulled a tail feather out. I think she has started her moult early but I don’t know if it could be stress because she hasn’t been flown since December, so you have any suggestions if she has started the moult should I just ride it out or drop her weight quickly to stop it?

thanks

21 minutes ago, Moses2259 said:

This year as you probably know there is a lockdown on hunting your bird because of the bird flu, because of this we raised my birds weight by about 4 ounces and today I walked in to find out that she pulled a tail feather out. I think she has started her moult early but I don’t know if it could be stress because she hasn’t been flown since December, so you have any suggestions if she has started the moult should I just ride it out or drop her weight quickly to stop it?

thanks

What bird is it ?pr or imp ,  Has she pulled it out or dropped it naturally, if she’s pulled it out it’s not because her weight as gone 4 oz . My mate has a redtail that when it’s not been flown it will start to strip it’s tail feathers out of Bordem but that’s an imp , 

On 24/01/2021 at 12:58, Elchapo said:

What bird is it ?pr or imp ,  Has she pulled it out or dropped it naturally, if she’s pulled it out it’s not because her weight as gone 4 oz . My mate has a redtail that when it’s not been flown it will start to strip it’s tail feathers out of Bordem but that’s an imp , 

She is a parent reared Harris hawk it looks more just pulled out that dropped 

On 24/01/2021 at 12:30, Moses2259 said:

thanks

This lockdown is area specific, just to clarify. You are still permitted to fly a bird of prey and carry out pest control if you are outside one of the lockdown areas.

6 hours ago, Moses2259 said:

She is a parent reared Harris hawk it looks more just pulled out that dropped 

Could be boredom mate , like moorman  says your aloud to exercise , get her out following on , if you don’t want to travel far to huntin grounds just find somewhere  closer to you to fly her Get her couple  flights to lure if need be  if she’s come out of a moult and then sat about doing nothing because of lockdown most probably boredom 

On 25/01/2021 at 18:26, Moorman 1 said:

This lockdown is area specific, just to clarify. You are still permitted to fly a bird of prey and carry out pest control if you are outside one of the lockdown areas.

Unfortunately where I live we are in full lockdown and if she catches it every bird in a 10 mile radius will br culled and I am good Freinds with a chicken farmer who has 2 million chickens and I don’t think I could look him in the eye if I’m the reason he lost a lot of money

41 minutes ago, Moses2259 said:

Unfortunately where I live we are in full lockdown and if she catches it every bird in a 10 mile radius will br culled and I am good Freinds with a chicken farmer who has 2 million chickens and I don’t think I could look him in the eye if I’m the reason he lost a lot of money

That's a shame mate I'm lucky can still fly mine and carry out pest control in my area!