What happened to the collie crosses?

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

You’d just put it back to a 28” bull x wouldn’t you, to iron out any faults. 

If it was doing what you wanted it’d not be the wrong choice if that’s what you think would give you the results you require it’s never the wrong choice if it’s what you personally want. I’ve noticed people get really anal when bull blood is mentioned what’s that all about? 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never thought i would go back to a collie cross  had her out today  

it all comes down to what you want to hunt and work. mine are no good on anything bigger than a rabbit, but I am not interested in anything bigger than a rabbit. plenty of types for different jobs ?

The fact rabbits are dwindling around the country apart from strong pockets. People are going for dogs that will turn its hand at anything for there sport 

Posted Images

I had a collie cross a few years ago, 3/4 dog. 

For me it had too much collie in, would have been better a pure greyhound. ?

Never liked the dog or gelled with it, the thing was a yapper at home and often yapped when on a hare that it knew was heading for  cover. 

The thing was a jealous cnut and wouldn't retrieve if out with any other dogs, in fact it wound try and flee with it's catch. 

As for teeth, not a chance, a quick snap on the arse was all he could manage. 

He was a very decent hare catcher tbh and very fast, done 3 out of 3 on fields local to me. 

Edited by Greb147
13 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I had a collie cross a few years ago, 3/4 dog. 

For me it had too much collie in, would have been better a pure greyhound. ?

Never liked the dog or gelled with it, the thing was a yapper at home and often yapped when on a hare that it knew was heading for  cover. 

The thing was a jealous cnut and wouldn't retrieve if out with any other dogs, in fact it wound try and flee with it's catch. 

As for teeth, not a chance, a quick snap on the arse was all he could manage. 

He was a very decent hare catcher tbh and very fast, done 3 out of 3 on fields local to me. 

Funny how you can gel with certain dogs and not others, I had a saluki cross and like you couldn't get on with it yet I've had others with saluki which worked faultless. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, poachers apprentice said:

Funny how you can gel with certain dogs and not others, I had a saluki cross and like you couldn't get on with it yet I've had others with saluki which worked faultless. 

The dog just wound me up with everything it did. 

If you let him off the lead to mooch on his own he was fine but do it with another dog he would bound off in front because it wanted to be the dog to catch something. 

It new that at any moment a hare could pop up so wanted to be there first, it was jealousy. 

It did everything for it and not me if you get my drift. 

Now I could live and accept that if it was a saluki cross but a collie cross you would expect it to be better than that. ?

When the hunting ban came in a lot of people were saying that lurchers would change as a result. Ironically however, the prediction was that people would move to smaller whippet crosses and dogs with less than half sighthound. I guess that made a lot of sense considering what had just happened. We weren't all to know that rabbits would disappear from so many places. When they disappeared from my my area I didn't bother to replace my ferrets and shifted my focus to rats, squirrels and pigeons. That was simply because I'd found a type of dog I gelled with and knew they'd be alright for this as they'd always done it alongside the rabbiting.

On a similar vein to what Greb147 and poachersapprentice have just said...I tried a terrier cross once...I was talked into it by a couple of people to hoist off the last pup in a litter. He was a lovely dog with lots of character (I've always liked terrier character...in other people's dogs) but he DEFINITELY wasn't for me. After previously only having collie crosses I couldn't understand why he kept saying, "No!" instead of, "certainly sir, straight away sir."

Edited by Neal
  • Haha 3

i really think, that after 30 odd years fooking about with lurchers, your better of getting a lurcher x lurcher type dog , because if from proven dogs, you should have a dog that do rabbits day/night, and take other quarry if need be pre ban. ive  always said a 1/4 collie plenty in any lurcher , having had few collie xs over the years , my 1x collie x grey now old bryn, been great rabbit dog, but thats all really not a alrounder , my 1x  gsd x grey Buck better dog , more of a alrounder than bryn ever was . So regards the post colliexs , if i was you mate, just get a lurcher x lurcher with drop of collie in it , a pit x grey x collie x grey , few on here  ok   do foxes , but do rabbits no prob as well  , and forget about size , my gsd x grey a big strong 28in dog, picks rabbits up easy day/night when he was younger and fit .

• Like 3
18 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

The rabbits went and the collie crosses followed. 

Sort of like the first wave of myxi in the 50's?

Hadn't thought of that until now really.  ? ?

Edited by shaaark
3 hours ago, bird said:

i really think, that after 30 odd years fooking about with lurchers, your better of getting a lurcher x lurcher type dog , because if from proven dogs, you should have a dog that do rabbits day/night, and take other quarry if need be pre ban. ive  always said a 1/4 collie plenty in any lurcher , having had few collie xs over the years , my 1x collie x grey now old bryn, been great rabbit dog, but thats all really not a alrounder , my 1x  gsd x grey Buck better dog , more of a alrounder than bryn ever was . So regards the post colliexs , if i was you mate, just get a lurcher x lurcher with drop of collie in it , a pit x grey x collie x grey , few on here  ok   do foxes , but do rabbits no prob as well  , and forget about size , my gsd x grey a big strong 28in dog, picks rabbits up easy day/night when he was younger and fit .

Why don’t put buck over a 3/4 grey 1/4 bull be a nice pup for you pal

3 hours ago, bird said:

That's what I'm going to do mate to be fair just I'm used to collie crosses so I try to stick with what I know. Other problem I have is being out the game so long a lot I used to know who kept lurchers have got out of it so I'm gonna be buying off a add and some of the prices recently have been eye watering ? I don't mind paying 300-400 for a pup but sod paying over a grand for a lurcher.