What happened to the collie crosses?

31 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Don't be niave furg the riflers are up 2 no good at all times and blaming the dog guys

20 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Same as anything in life you get wronguns. Some round me will just kill any fox insight even if there not being a problem. Shooting milky vixens not worried about the Cubs. Same when there shooting rabbits got shooting 50 plus a night for a few nights then moan when they don’t see any for rest of season. Chucking all there dead’s just to attract foxes so they can slaughter them to. Lazy b*****ds some with very few brain cells ?

?, just saying what I see around my area, lads.

Obviously I don't know EVERY rifleman, same as I don't know EVERY lurcherman.

But I know SEVERAL guys with lurchers, that I won't even speak to. They are NOT dogmen, in any way, shape or form.

• Like 2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never thought i would go back to a collie cross  had her out today  

it all comes down to what you want to hunt and work. mine are no good on anything bigger than a rabbit, but I am not interested in anything bigger than a rabbit. plenty of types for different jobs ?

The fact rabbits are dwindling around the country apart from strong pockets. People are going for dogs that will turn its hand at anything for there sport 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, poachers apprentice said:

Where have all the collie crosses gone? Used to see them regularly but seems like wheaton and bull crosses are now the norm. Nothing against those crosses but there a bit overkill when all you want is to catch a rabbit and be a net guarder ?

The rabbits went and the collie crosses followed. 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, poxon said:

People have found them in modern times incapable so have moved on to breed collie xs from the capable in to other xs  more suited to be ready for anything types that can ferret/lamp mooch an be used for many types of hunting just because they may have a bit of bull or Wheaton in them don’t mean they not capable I know a lad with a 28-29tts Sal/bull/greyhound x catch rabbits as good as any 

I've had no experience of them so maybe I am speaking out of turn, they do look a handy dog especially the wheaton types but I wouldn't call the collie crosses incapable mate, for a ferreting dog and net guarder I think there one of best. 

5 minutes ago, poachers apprentice said:

I've had no experience of them so maybe I am speaking out of turn, they do look a handy dog especially the wheaton types but I wouldn't call the collie crosses incapable mate, for a ferreting dog and net guarder I think there one of best. 

I know the collie xs capability’s well mate I’ve a retired one sat here an her granddaughter a beddy collie type the other side of me. ?modern times mate surely all those people out there ain’t got it all wrong for modern day hunting not using a collie x Surly not 

18 minutes ago, poxon said:

I know the collie xs capability’s well mate I’ve a retired one sat here an her granddaughter a beddy collie type the other side of me. ?modern times mate surely all those people out there ain’t got it all wrong for modern day hunting not using a collie x Surly not 

There's another good cross the bedlington x. Not seen a straight cross for years, one of my other favourites. Might be me that's totally wrong haha hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for at some point ?

33 minutes ago, poachers apprentice said:

There's another good cross the bedlington x. Not seen a straight cross for years, one of my other favourites. Might be me that's totally wrong haha hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for at some point ?

Your find what your after mate.can’t rate a mix of collie an beddy mix Lurcher high enough ??

I would really like to breed a really good litter of hard collie grey hounds, have a crack at breeding one that could have a good crack at most things. But theres other more pressing things to do and I'm not sure I could handle all of the collie greyhound enthusiasts i would have to have over for a cuppa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I would really like to breed a really good litter of hard collie grey hounds, have a crack at breeding one that could have a good crack at most things. But theres other more pressing things to do and I'm not sure I could handle all of the collie greyhound enthusiasts i would have to have over for a cuppa.

You wouldn’t need to handle no enthusiasts if your breeding for your self mate it’s a case of f**k em if it’s for what you need but once you bred your litter an got your f1 for a crack at most thinks we’re do you go from there that’s the question I think any lurcher breeding is hard to get good dogs because we can’t guarantee what the results would be it’s gotta be easier just to buy a f1 in hope for the best bring them on then go from there if you want to continue on. I think most of us lurcher people would like to keep our own stuff what ever cross it is if it suits what we do id like to keep to the beddy/collie things I keep an get a tightish line amongst our little group of people/friends that run them 

14 minutes ago, poxon said:

You wouldn’t need to handle no enthusiasts if your breeding for your self mate it’s a case of f**k em if it’s for what you need but once you bred your litter an got your f1 for a crack at most thinks we’re do you go from there that’s the question I think any lurcher breeding is hard to get good dogs because we can’t guarantee what the results would be it’s gotta be easier just to buy a f1 in hope for the best bring them on then go from there if you want to continue on. I think most of us lurcher people would like to keep our own stuff what ever cross it is if it suits what we do id like to keep to the beddy/collie things I keep an get a tightish line amongst our little group of people/friends that run them 

You’d just put it back to a 28” bull x wouldn’t you, to iron out any faults.