Tailguards

Troutslayer

1 hour ago, Troutslayer said:

Hi all just a query about tail guards. Would it be possible to keep the tailguard on during the moult? My gos is constantly baiting off the perch and has got his tail in a bit of a state. Thanks guys

No the feathers would struggle to be pushed in plus when he moults  his decks out he’d drop the tail guard mount and you’d have to catch him up and put new mount to fit tail guard on which would cause him stress and fret marks on feathers , if the mews is fully secluded with a half open top he shouldn’t be baiting around to much , try get all the surfaces in the mews smooth (eg all plywoodwalls a corner  perche and one center perch ) and it shouldn’t get caught on anything to be broke 

• Like 1

Yes mate its more of a D shape. I've always kept my harrises the same and never had any trouble. This is my first gos and the tail thing has got me stressed as I like my birds kept in tip top. Can you put a pic up of the jess extender and where I could get one. Cheers

14 minutes ago, Troutslayer said:

Yes mate its more of a D shape. I've always kept my harrises the same and never had any trouble. This is my first gos and the tail thing has got me stressed as I like my birds kept in tip top. Can you put a pic up of the jess extender and where I could get one. Cheers

D shaped bows don't work properly it needs to be a shallow bow shape. Harris feathers are very forgiving and almost impossible to ruin. I would keep it on a raptor post its not going to ruin its tail on one of those.

WWW.HOODEDTALONS.CO.UK

All braid is custom made, and it may take up to 3 weeks to complete your order.

22 minutes ago, Troutslayer said:

Thanks for that I take it they can't hit the floor when using the raptor perch? Any problems with them hanging upside down? That was reason I was put off using a screen perch. Thanks and nice gos you've got there ? 

No they just spin around and come back up, they only have the length of jesses and extender. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Troutslayer said:

Does anyone keep there birds with the tailguard permanently on? Or does this cause any problems? Cheers

No one in the right mind will keep a tail guard on a bird all year round , The tail guard will be fastend to one of his tail feathers so when he dropped that feather the guard will drop , going in catch him up to put it in diffrent tail feather while that one grows back in is just going to stress the bird out, 

with out trying to sound like a smart c**t I’ll be blunt and try explain best I can , .

When A bird pushes new feathers through it is uncomfortable for them The quils ar pushes out and new feathers in a protective sleeve (couple inch long ) pushes through 

try holding your hand in a  Loose fist shape ,then get 12 feathers and try to push them through the gap in the top of your Fist try get all 12 in (Feather end first not quite ) then open your hand and see the state the feathers will be in , ( not good for new feathers and not a nice feeling for a bird ) 

Edited by Elchapo
2 hours ago, Troutslayer said:

Sorry I should of said not during the moult as that has already been explained but during hunting season? Thanks

yea you can during hunting season , if your Goss is scatty then I’d put it on a low bow perch but try get a bow perch not a D perch , or a high rotating ring perch when outing it out to weather and bath , then after bathed and preened and dried pick bird up put tail guard back on , I’d consider a raptor perch tho like moorman has said they realy are great for baiting birds , everyone I have spoke to have all said that there bird hardly ever baited on them and I’ve started making my own , if you use a jesses extender then the swivel won’t be getting pulled up through the tail causing damage ,