Planning ahead

3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I think that's what he said.. 

The dogs 3, so got a few seasons under his belt and is obviously pleasing the man, so he's looking at the future, id say a dog of 4 or 5 would've shown enough to an owner to know its worth, so if he breeds next year is that still too early?

I'd say by 3 years old you've got a pretty clear understanding of the dogs capabilities and if they suit you.

Exactly that mate! 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking in the long run. Been pleased with how my little dog has come on, wanting to find him a bitch to put him over in the next couple years. Wanting something with a little more height. What are y

Cheers ?not about numbers for me mate, but like most people on here my passion is running dogs. So like a lot of others any spare time I get I’m out with my dog trying to find him game to run. Also my

Was thinking that myself. But they got shit feet, no stamina, too much prey drive, no brains, crap coat, eeerm, give me a minute, and I'll try to think of a few more negatives lol

Posted Images

2 hours ago, socks said:

It all depends on how much work the dog gets. A dog that’s worked every weekend through the season will take longer to asses than a dog that worked every day all year round. 

Try to get out with the lamp at least 3 nights a week during season if conditions are half okay sometimes more , and work him in the beating line most Saturdays during shooting season. Sunday we mostly out with the ferret again if weather suits. That’s as much time as I can physically give him. It helps he is very adaptable, opens a lot more opportunity.  He keeps me happy which is enough for me.?

• Like 4

You spend too much time testing a dog to please every f****r and one night you might just well find yourself wishing you had a pup out of it while you are burying it. It all comes down to what options are available and how valuable the blood is to you. Sentimentality aside that is.

Anyway, I only checked in to say that's a lovely little dog that reminds me of a similar bitch that was unfortunately buried young. :thumbs:

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

How many seasons would a 3 year old dog of done ? ?

Im not say to breed at 3, and neither is the OP.

He is happy with the what the dog is doing at 3 and planning, asking for a few years time...

I also think, as socks touched on, some people do a lot more with a dog than others... your 3 year old dog may have only been out 20 times.... someone else's has been grafted constantly....

I dont think there is a magic number, but a dog of 3 would've seen a couple of full seasons and could be put to a bitch at 4 or 5 with no worries..

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

You spend too much time testing a dog to please every f****r and one night you might just well find yourself wishing you had a pup out of it while you are burying it. It all comes down to what options are available and how valuable the blood is to you. Sentimentality aside that is.

Anyway, I only checked in to say that's a lovely little dog that reminds me of a similar bitch that was unfortunately buried young. :thumbs:

That’s what worries me. Think iv been lucky with him so far. His running style is very aggressive, tho he has been ran in woodland since a pup, which I think has helped a lot with his awareness. But anything can happen when running dogs which everyone knows. ?

7 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I am not knocking you runner 96 as like u say ur dog only has to please you, I am not in to chasing numbers and u prob work ur dog more than me by the sounds of it ?all the best  keep us posted 

Cheers ?not about numbers for me mate, but like most people on here my passion is running dogs. So like a lot of others any spare time I get I’m out with my dog trying to find him game to run. Also my dog isn’t out only during “season”.  If we aren’t out looking for rats, he will be in the pigeon hide with me, or he is out pushing pheasants home. Just like being out with me dog. Probably just like yourself. Cheers for your input mate ??

• Like 5

Like Born and katchum touched on, do it, or you may regret it later on... Trust me I've been there...its too late when they past it or gone.. f****d myself up with my terriers and lurcher bitch?no good when they've been grafted to f**k and they broken by 6/7 and you can't get nothing from em,i will never take a litter from a bitch older than 6 ever again... Cost me a whole world of hurt and f***ing coin... So long as your honest and truthful about what it can do when folks ask for a pup... The rest is down to them imo.. And you be able to sleep at night?

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Like Born and katchum touched on, do it, or you may regret it later on... Trust me I've been there...its too late when they past it or gone.. f****d myself up with my terriers and lurcher bitch?no good when they've been grafted to f**k and they broken by 6/7 and you can't get nothing from em,i will never take a litter from a bitch older than 6 ever again... Cost me a whole world of hurt and f***ing coin... So long as your honest and truthful about what it can do when folks ask for a pup... The rest is down to them imo.. And you be able to sleep at night?

Done similar put me off the breeding lark altogether 

• Like 1