Planning ahead

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking in the long run. Been pleased with how my little dog has come on, wanting to find him a bitch to put him over in the next couple years. Wanting something with a little more height. What are y

Cheers ?not about numbers for me mate, but like most people on here my passion is running dogs. So like a lot of others any spare time I get I’m out with my dog trying to find him game to run. Also my

Was thinking that myself. But they got shit feet, no stamina, too much prey drive, no brains, crap coat, eeerm, give me a minute, and I'll try to think of a few more negatives lol

Posted Images

15 hours ago, whitefeet4190 said:

I’d be thinking more of testing the dog over the next couple of years rather than breeding ?‍♂️

I think that's what he said.. 

The dogs 3, so got a few seasons under his belt and is obviously pleasing the man, so he's looking at the future, id say a dog of 4 or 5 would've shown enough to an owner to know its worth, so if he breeds next year is that still too early?

I'd say by 3 years old you've got a pretty clear understanding of the dogs capabilities and if they suit you.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, socks said:

It all depends on how much work the dog gets. A dog that’s worked every weekend through the season will take longer to asses than a dog that worked every day all year round. 

Wouldn’t say there’s many people actually doing any decent  work every day of the week with a dog if they got a job an a family it’d be more when times available unless you are retired or sit on the doll. There’s a daily walk/mooch but is that actually classed as proper work if a dogs only limitedly finding runs an not catching 365days of the year 

That was an example but the gist of what I’m saying is just because one dog is two or three and another is five or six doesn’t mean the older dog has been tested more or has more experience. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, socks said:

That was an example but the gist of what I’m saying is just because one dog is two or three and another is five or six doesn’t mean the older dog has been tested more or has more experience. 

I get what ya mean socks??It’s a tough one deciding on a dogs worth or not. Here’s another way at looking at it a dog can go out 7days a week catch 7wabbits a dog can go out once a week catch 7rabbits what’s the better dog? I still say it’s how you look at it a dogs worth if it’s good or not ?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, poxon said:

I get what ya mean socks??It’s a tough one deciding on a dogs worth or not. Here’s another way at looking at it a dog can go out 7days a week catch 7wabbits a dog can go out once a week catch 7rabbits what’s the better dog? I still say it’s how you look at it a dogs worth if it’s good or not ?

Depends on the colour