Planning ahead

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thinking in the long run. Been pleased with how my little dog has come on, wanting to find him a bitch to put him over in the next couple years. Wanting something with a little more height. What are y

Cheers ?not about numbers for me mate, but like most people on here my passion is running dogs. So like a lot of others any spare time I get I’m out with my dog trying to find him game to run. Also my

Was thinking that myself. But they got shit feet, no stamina, too much prey drive, no brains, crap coat, eeerm, give me a minute, and I'll try to think of a few more negatives lol

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Runner96 said:

Maybe blackneck is right, a racy bull/grey.

If that's what you're thinking mate, go with that. Your dog, your area, land, permission etc. You'll know better than us lot, what will suit you and the conditions you have to work your dog/dogs ?

And if you prefer smooth coats to rough/broken, you'll be increasing the chances of having a litter of all smooths. ?

And before someone wants to 'stone me to death' over my 'coat' reference, I know coat doesn't really make a difference to a dog's actual working ability, but some people, me included, prefer smooths ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Lol, I've had a pure grey as a lurcher and you are not wrong but crossed Runner's lurcher I think they could get the good parts, size, drive, more uniformity in the litter maybe. I really liked my pure grey he was loyal, a good guard and always put in 100% but I wouldn't have another pure one for hunting.

I was being facetious mate lol. I love greyhounds, and yes, I suppose most of them wouldn't be suitable for most modern lurcherwork these days. But for many people, that aren't as 'driven/competetive' for 'numbers' etc, I think many pure greyhounds would suit a lot of people. ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, lurchers said:

It’s alright thinking a head but it depends if someone would like to use your dog over there bitch as it might turn out a pile of crap(just saying)as things like that happen.

yeah mate anything can happen! But he 3 year old now and unless something drastic happens I can’t see him going backwards. He hasn’t refused anything he has bumped up yet! We will see ?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, shaaark said:

If that's what you're thinking mate, go with that. Your dog, your area, land, permission etc. You'll know better than us lot, what will suit you and the conditions you have to work your dog/dogs ?

And if you prefer smooth coats to rough/broken, you'll be increasing the chances of having a litter of all smooths. ?

And before someone wants to 'stone me to death' over my 'coat' reference, I know coat doesn't really make a difference to a dog's actual working ability, but some people, me included, prefer smooths ?

The coat don't matter so much as the colour on iy

24 minutes ago, lurchers said:

It’s alright thinking a head but it depends if someone would like to use your dog over there bitch as it might turn out a pile of crap(just saying)as things like that happen.

That’s why planning ahead is a good thing because you get time to see what the pair are all about before a decision is made it also gives time to find a better stud or dam than doing a rush job last minute if not to expectations 

• Like 1