Anyone gill net ?

17 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Any of you guys happen to gill net or rig your own nets ?

It’s generally frowned upon over here mate and often is illegal although it still goes on.  I dare say one or two on here have dabbled over the years :thumbs:

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, bell said:

It’s generally frowned upon over here mate and often is illegal although it still goes on.  I dare say one or two on here have dabbled over the years :thumbs:

Interesting. Thought netting for commercial fishing was a thing over there . Guess I was mistaken ?

29 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Interesting. Thought netting for commercial fishing was a thing over there . Guess I was mistaken ?

Commercial netting ok mate, but ‘freelancing’ can get you in trouble......netting rivers is definitely a no no......

• Like 1

Found one across the river wye 2 seasons ago.... It was set 6" below the water line, had caught and killed around 20 good double figure barbel, load of tidy  chub, carp, pike, salmon and trout... I ever catch some cnut setting one.... And they will be fish food... You ever used clove oil? Put it in upstream... And wait... Sends them to sleep long enough for you to net them out? Don't damage f**k all else like lime of dynamite ??

1 hour ago, Mr Wilkes said:

How the feck would you have explained that one to the authorities DC ?.... Honest guvna I was just taking out... I Neva dun it ! ?

Lol, I haven't always followed the law? .. these days I'm a reformed character.... Next time you catch a fish, put it in a bucket of water and add a few drops of Clove oil... Works the same as being knocked out before you go under the knife?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Lol, I haven't always followed the law? .. these days I'm a reformed character.... Next time you catch a fish, put it in a bucket of water and add a few drops of Clove oil... Works the same as being knocked out before you go under the knife?

We've used it on sandeels to pack and blast freeze em so they still look good 

9 hours ago, bell said:

Commercial netting ok mate, but ‘freelancing’ can get you in trouble......netting rivers is definitely a no no......

Mak s sense, I just picked up a bunch of supplies and figured id go about learning how to build  and fish nets in some of the local ponds. Alot if then are choked with stunted bluegill,bass and what not a nd need to be cleaned out. Bought some commercial made nets but they where lacking so figured I'd just make my own and mabye ask around since theirs not that much info online.

1 minute ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Mak s sense, I just picked up a bunch of supplies and figured id go about learning how to build  and fish nets in some of the local ponds. Alot if then are choked with stunted bluegill,bass and what not a nd need to be cleaned out. Bought some commercial made nets but they where lacking so figured I'd just make my own and mabye ask around since theirs not that much info online.

Nice one Wdog, stick some pics up mate......tight lines :victory:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bell said:

Nice one Wdog, stick some pics up mate......tight lines :victory:

Thanks I made this little video a while back when I was first trying  but haven't had much time to mess with it much more

Managed some turtles but after talking to one of the guys at the commercial fishing supplier I visited he reccomed I do some different things because the fish where most likely just swing the net and turing around due to the. Fact their in a pond and don't really have to go anywhere

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Thanks I made this little video a while back when I was first trying  but haven't had much time to mess with it much more

Managed some turtles but after talking to one of the guys at the commercial fishing supplier I visited he reccomed I do some different things because the fish where most likely just swing the net and turing around due to the. Fact their in a pond and don't really have to go anywhere

Nice little set up you have there Dog, nets can certainly put fish on the table. 

C658BDFD-0A6C-4CD2-92F1-6E3E4710BE82.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, bell said:

Nice little set up you have there Dog, nets can certainly put fish on the table. 

C658BDFD-0A6C-4CD2-92F1-6E3E4710BE82.jpeg

Thank you! Is that a double sheet trammel net ? Looks like its very well constructed but only counting yes sets of netting. Night just being the way I'm looking. That a sea net or for great water ?

21 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Thank you! Is that a double sheet trammel net ? Looks like its very well constructed but only counting yes sets of netting. Night just being the way I'm looking. That a sea net or for great water ?

Sent you pm