My girls ferrets

11 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

We had 2 litters last year, one went great and a few lads off here had kits out of it, the later litter was an accident, but didn't go so well...the mother had a funny one and killed a few kits, we ended up taking the 3 live kits out and 1 died leaving the last 2 being hand reared by my daughter..they stayed in her bedroom and it was a fight to get them back in the court!! Lol

Fast forward 6 months and today was the first outing for this pair, I took my old Jill as well and planned on doing a few ground buries in the hill side...just me my daughter ferts and dogs...

It turned into a cracking morning all round... First bit we wrapped a long net around... the young Jill and old Jill dropped in, not long and a bolt, netted perfect.... another bolt after 5 mins which the big dog caught straight out of the hole... 2 in the bag and move on..

20210117_101023.jpg.a01e2109837c6c0eb485db75732bc54a.jpg

Next bit, a smallish 8 holer.. didn't bother with the nets and the dogs promptly missed 2 bolters... there for next time...

We put the long net around the next bit, a fair size set around 20 holes or so...the 2 young ferts were still messing a bit and not sticking under ground, the old girl worked hard and pushed 2 out both to the net and in the bag...

20210117_103303.jpg.6133b5e971da9f671ed4a7cc1865a141.jpg

A bigger set further on, we chucked a few purse nets on it, I wanted my girl to see a few things (she's ferreted on and off with me from a babe but we hardly ever purse net with her, get the dogs running)... took a while but finally got a bolt and the young Jill followed the rabbit out...success... I let her grip the rabbit for a bit..the learning process was going well..

20210117_112442.jpg.68ea3df3d884324182597d4c67637757.jpg

Onto the next set right next door, put a long net along the bottom to stop them hitting the Dyke.. put all 3 ferts in the 2 young uns were starting to disappear quicker than at the start, Isla was happy they were learning... one bolted hit the net... next tried to outrun the big dog, only one winner this time another in the bag....then one bolted as I took the rabbit off her, she couldn't make up the ground so another away.... the next was a real sharp catch from my old bitch, right place right time 3 yards and picked up, she's lost her pace but still tries, love seeing her picking the odd one up still..

20210117_122124.jpg.c6f879340fd76c7f297b981842ba3a49.jpg

We decided to wrap with 7 in the bag, and started our walk back to the car...there a small stream along the valley the dogs were working away along the bramble, neither are good bushers but the little dog pushed one and Fergie just missed it after a good run....we thought that was it...but another got up and tried to out run her again...a good long run ended in another to the big dog and 8 in the bag....

We passed a small set that holds the odd one, and I said to Isla, no nets let's just chuck the ferrets through see what happens...3 bolts later and 1 more to the big dog.. they always go down hill to the dyke and rarely make a mistake...the one catch was another nice pick up straight out of the hole.....

So ended on 9 with the dogs and ferrets all doing their jobs well...but Isla beaming at her ferrets performance was the icing on the cake...one thing I would say is they are 2 of the best ferrets I've had so young for handling, come to you out of the hole, no nervousness, she done a great job and the hand rearing has certainly made them lively ferrets to handle...

20210117_131259.jpg.3c3f49123149f4fb6908e41ac04db61d.jpg

20210117_131932.jpg.803e4aea47939470226baf221fa03693.jpg

Good read that. 

Good on your lass. Great to hear ferrets are good shes done a fine job of taken care ae them ??

• Like 1
Just now, Big rowie said:

Good read that. 

Good on your lass. Great to hear ferrets are good shes done a fine job of taken care ae them ??

Thanks mate... 

That was her summer, she loves the animals mate... it was great today, just me and her, normally my lad comes but I said unless your up you ain't coming, she was up and ready at.8 so we went without him...

• Like 1
Just now, sid g said:

good gal well done hope you did`nt make her carry  the nets --- next lesson get them rabbits ready for stew 

She's got a rucksack of purse nets on her back in that last pic mate, I said I'd carry it but she said I had enough already...long nets and ferrets, plus rabbits...

I've been grinning all day mate, one of my favourite days ferreting, she was all over it today and so pleased with her ferrets....she wants to go next week again... ill see how she handles crawling through a hedge row!! Lol

• Like 4

Nice write up Kev she will be wanting some camo gear next mate. Nice also to she a girl taking to ferreting, not enough youngsters at the game mate.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, TOMO said:

nice write up and pics mate......that must of been some work hand rearing ferrets...good on your daughter....

Thanks mate...her and Fin took care for 3 weeks in thd house, we had a right fall out when I said they had to go back outside! Lol

7 hours ago, Arry said:

Nice write up Kev she will be wanting some camp gear next mate. Nice also to she a girl taking to ferreting, not enough youngsters at the game mate.

Cheers Arry

Thanks Arry, try and get the kids into everything...it'll be with them if they want to do it later or not..  

• Like 1

It’s great to see the young ones getting into ferreting their is not a lot of  young ones these days getting into it. My oldest is 13 she will often come out with me and will quite often play with the ferrets at home and at the moment I have 4 kits that are 12 weeks old and she has been able to nip train them not to bite. 

• Like 1