Ferreting thick Bush..... HELP

Hi guys

Was out on a permission today that had some really thick jaggy Bush. Loads of burrows, but the problem I had was firstly netting them, but then also keeping track of the ferret. 

Any ideas. Someone suggested sliding plywood up 3 sides to funnel the rabbits into a long net at the bottom open area

Bells on the ferret collars, put locators boxes at either end so you know of the ferrets are moving past where you are..

Try and section it off with purse nets in the runs, the rabbits will just hole hop usually, so if you can't get at the holes, net the runs...they are obvious and the rabbits tend to only use them.no matter what.. a good terrier or sharp bushing dog can be useful.as well...my old terrier would nail loads in deep cover when ferreting.

Keeping a track of ferrets is hard work and digging is a nightmare... done some right heavy places and usually hate it...lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Definitely going to try the barrier idea. Like the idea of rubble or fertiliser sacks due to portability but plywood would probably work better. For bramble thickets I have a couple of tunnel cages and some very heavy gauge nylon purse nets that can be draped over foliage. Both work but neither are great. Even with a dog and range of long nets I have mixed success on these types of warrens, I put it down to the difficulty of moving rabbits generally in one direction and preventing them returning to areas already ferreted. Much as I dislike purse netting in cover, I find any nets you can somehow get down will help. 

2 hours ago, socks said:

Another top tip is to load the place with ferrets mob the rabbits keep them moving and force them to bolt. 

Absolutely mate, the quicker you move them the better...

As you know you need a few of you to keep an eye on those sort of place, once half a dozen ferrets are in it gets a bit hectic!! Lol

Just out of interest what is a micro ferret. Second of all unsure on the size of the bush you want to do but in the past I have hade a couple of large black Berry’s bushes and we sliced them down with a wiper snipe and blocked them into patches it all depends on how eager you are. It sounds like a lot of work but you woul be amazed on how happy you can make a farmer. But once you block up the bush let it sit for a weak or two to let the bunnies to relax befor you let the ferrets loose. Makes it so much easier. 

On 20/01/2021 at 08:23, Luckee legs said:

Definitely going to try the barrier idea. Like the idea of rubble or fertiliser sacks due to portability but plywood would probably work better. For bramble thickets I have a couple of tunnel cages and some very heavy gauge nylon purse nets that can be draped over foliage. Both work but neither are great. Even with a dog and range of long nets I have mixed success on these types of warrens, I put it down to the difficulty of moving rabbits generally in one direction and preventing them returning to areas already ferreted. Much as I dislike purse netting in cover, I find any nets you can somehow get down will help. 

If you want to block runs to force them off track heard people mention that red plastic road size fence stuff. Nice light to carry about

red-plastic-industry-protection-fence-600w-1042948063.jpg.a34e348d46c128a334966c17cc3285fb.jpg

• Like 2