Condensation in house

I’ve recently bought a house built around 1860s so the deeds say could be earlier and the condensation in the upstairs is ridiculous damp proofing and wall ties have all been done before I moved in as they needed doing on the survey so the seller and us paid upon an agreement to get it done outside has been rendered with in the last 2 years and has no cracks or falling off down stairs is fine but the bedrooms walls are wet to touch on a morning and the ceiling and as I found out yesterday the plaster has crumbled away I’ve had someone to come look at the roof and they said it’s absolutely fine for an original slate roof and said it’s condensation I’ve chipped all the plaster of the upstairs as there’s no plasterboard just straight to brick I’m happy to get it all done again but what do I do to stop it happening again and I did have double glazing fit when I moved in I don’t want to have to do it again in a few years or so any ideas on how to stop it ?

I get really bad mold on 1 wall in 1 bedroom, I'm convinced it's more to do with cold/heat or condensation as it's not damp. Even the mold is dry and fuzzy. Get some black mold in the same room around a window. 

Open a window .. or keep the heating on 24/7 .. 

My house suffers with it because it's an old stone cottage walls never warm up so any hot air condenses on the walls over night 

As someone has said,keep your vents open in your windys,an a dehumidifier on the landing top of stairs,keep it going constantly until it collects no more,then your house will be dry,I wouldn't do nothing else until the humidifier drys out the house,might take a week or two but keep it on flat out.

Screwfix do a good one for 110 quid gaz.

• Like 4

mate in the 70,s 80,s and 90,s folk just pointed with cement very few using lime and thats the biggest cause of damp in old houses get a bit of render of see what the stonewaorks pointed with, if its cement thats the first thing id do get it raked out repointed with lime mortar let it breath

I’ve just bought one of these extremely efficient and I am amazed at the amount of water it collects lots of good little features, we had our windows done last year to sound proof windows but the condensation has increased big time I suppose there doing there job but condensation is the price I’m paying for keeping the heat in.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-wdh-316db-16ltr-dehumidifier/368gy#_=p

• Like 2

Check all the eves, make sure theres no split slates, check from in the attic to make sure if its back pointed that theres none fallen out, or felt thats rotted if its felted, get some air bricks put in the rooms if there is none, can put covers on inside to open and close them if you want, 

10 hours ago, Gaz_Lurcherlad said:

I’ve recently bought a house built around 1860s so the deeds say could be earlier and the condensation in the upstairs is ridiculous damp proofing and wall ties have all been done before I moved in as they needed doing on the survey so the seller and us paid upon an agreement to get it done outside has been rendered with in the last 2 years and has no cracks or falling off down stairs is fine but the bedrooms walls are wet to touch on a morning and the ceiling and as I found out yesterday the plaster has crumbled away I’ve had someone to come look at the roof and they said it’s absolutely fine for an original slate roof and said it’s condensation I’ve chipped all the plaster of the upstairs as there’s no plasterboard just straight to brick I’m happy to get it all done again but what do I do to stop it happening again and I did have double glazing fit when I moved in I don’t want to have to do it again in a few years or so any ideas on how to stop it ?

Have you got trickle vents in the windows? You can dry line cold walls with foam backed plasterboard which might help?